ATX Community

How to check the # of returns filed with your PTIN

Lee B

Copied from the NAEA Newsletter:

from the Return Preparer Office

Ms. Campbell also reminded EAs that RPO is providing enrolled agents with the ability to check how many returns have been filed on their PTIN. Given rampant troubles with identity theft, EAs should check regularly. Here's how:

1. Go to IRS.gov
  2. Go to the Tax Professionals section
  3. On the right hand side of the page, look for the button "PTIN Open Season/Renew or Sign Up Now" (which you are not doing, but...)
  4. Click on that button to access the PTIN account page
  5. Sign in
  6. Go to View Returns Filed Per PTIN

While you will receive the number of returns filed electronically per tax year, the information is not updated daily (we believe it is updated once a month-and the site will display the most recent revision date), so please do not be alarmed if the number of returns does not line up precisely with the number you believe you filed. If, however, you believe you filed 312 returns and IRS' data shows 409 returns, well then, that's a problem. If IRS believes you filed significantly more returns than you believe you filed, you are instructed to file Form 14157 (which is counter-intuitive -- and difficult because it appears you are filing a misconduct case against yourself!).

• Like 3

I thought so too, but that was the message it produced.  Formatting and bolded text is from the IRS site, not my formatting:

Returns Filed per PTIN

See the chart below for the number of tax returns with your PTIN processed by the IRS this year. The data is updated monthly and includes only Form 1040 series returns processed through the date specified.

If the number is substantially higher than the number of tax returns you've prepared and you suspect possible misuse of your PTIN, complete Form 14157.

Note: A minimum of 50 returns must be processed for data to be shown. At this time the data is only available for enrolled agents, but will be expanded to other PTIN holders in the future.

Definitions:

• Processing Year: the year the return was processed by the IRS
  • Tax Year: the tax year of the return
  • 1040s Processed: includes only 1040 series returns (1040, 1040-PR, 1040-SS, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040EZ-T, 1040NR, and 1040NR-EZ)
No records to show

Strange, to report only for EAs, when it's reporting on PTINs?  

​IRS' database may be segregated in some additional way because IRS tracks the EAs' CPE requirements and may have programmed only that section to tract the returns also. Guessing.

Hmmm. Mine is 8 short of the actual number processed. I wonder what to make of that.

​I don't think 8 1040s would enough of a difference to worry about unless it was a significant % of the total number of 1040 series returns that you prepare. I hardly doubt that is the case.

Had to go back and read about when they update and what they update - because when I checked, they had only about 3/4 the number of my e-filed 1040's.  But they update monthly (so likely the April rush is missing) and only with returns processed (ditto, plus possibly late March returns still un-processed).  And none of my non-1040 returns would be listed.  

So don't worry, folks, if the number looks LOW.  

• Like 2