ATX Community

1095 Form For Those On Medicare

Christian

Agreed, Medicare has no 1095's (currently) --- but what about Medicaid and is there anything for the small business --- with all the changes and --"lets wait till next year" from congress, etc. --- I BELIEVE just the bigger than 50 employee businesses, etc. are required to give 1095's.    BUT AGAIN, what about smaller --- I am brain dead, so be gentle with your answers on this --- Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks KC!

I stand corrected. It seems from instructions from the links KC gave that ALL people will be getting a 1095 (A,B,C) of some sort INCLUDING Medicare and Medicaid, etc.. Everyone will need one of these forms to properly complete their tax returns or have to "pay" the penalty. If someone disagrees or reads the instructions differently, PLEASE share.

Thanks KC!

I stand corrected. It seems from instructions from the links KC gave that ALL people will be getting a 1095 (A,B,C) of some sort INCLUDING Medicare and Medicaid, etc.. Everyone will need one of these forms to properly complete their tax returns or have to "pay" the penalty. If someone disagrees or reads the instructions differently, PLEASE share.

Those persons on CHIP, Medicaid, Medicare, Medicare Advantage or Basic Health Program will not receive a 1095-B because those are forms of coverage through the government, so the gov't already knows about the coverage and there is no need for this form to report those types of coverage. That is stated on page one of the instructions of 1095-B under the caption "Insured Coverage" .

I didn't read through all of the links, so if you did see something there to the contrary would you please point it out?  Thanks.

Those persons on CHIP, Medicaid, Medicare, Medicare Advantage or Basic Health Program will not receive a 1095-B because those are forms of coverage through the government, so the gov't already knows about the coverage and there is no need for this form to report those types of coverage. That is stated on page one of the instructions of 1095-B under the caption "Insured Coverage" .

I didn't read through all of the links, so if you did see something there to the contrary would you please point it out?  Thanks.

I am looking at the last line of the paragraph (pg. 1 1095-B instructions where is does state that the "insurance issuers and carriers don't report coverage under ..." as you say BUT goes onto say that "These types of coverage are reported by the government sponsors of these programs" which I take it to mean either the agency (Medicare is the sponsor but -- I believe --basically they "farm out" the "INSURANCE" end) or whomever is sponsoring --- will/should send the 1095-B .  On page 2 second column; jus under #7 "In general, the government agency sponsoring the program will file Form 1095-B. The State agency that administers a Medicaid or CHIP program will file Form 1095-B for coverage under those programs."

I originally agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY that Medicare and such did not get 1095's but this leads me to believe they do. 

As I tend to at times "over read" and understand wording; I may still be incorrect but do believe 1095's will be sent by someone for these type people (Medicare, Medicaid, etc.).    

An example is in these same instructions ----- under "WHO MUST FILE" it starts off "Every person that provides minimum essential coverage to an individual .."   --- while -- specifically "PERSONS" do NOT provide -- as stated --- the company, entity, etc. provides --- and at times ---- this is not a "PERSON".              Probably why they no longer allow us to use the IRS publications as "proof" when we "discuss" things with them and make us use cites, etc. from the REAL code

IRS pubs/instructions are getting muddier and muddier as time goes along (my opinion, of course).

Looking forward to being wrong incorrect  (after all -- as a GUY, can I  EVER be really wrong :rolleyes:).   Have fun and THANKS for response -- please keep them coming!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My husband's Medicare coverage started in Aug 2015 and he got one too with boxes checked for Aug through Dec. Too bad Part III was completely blank so that it didn't indicate the issuer of the form or coverage provider.  I guess that would be too much to expect.  :wall:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jklcpa said:

My husband's Medicare coverage started in Aug 2015 and he got one too with boxes checked for Aug through Dec. Too bad Part III was completely blank so that it didn't indicate the issuer of the form or coverage provider.  I guess that would be too much to expect.  :wall:

/s   Just one of the very few "glitches" from the government  -- they will do better with time.

Now, you just need the forms for the coverage for the balance of the year --- and don't forget yours too.

Haven't seen mine or others yet, waiting patiently <_<

Without a 1095-B, how is a preparer to know how many months the taxpayer was covered by Medicare?  This discussion is overthinking and underthinking the question.

Being on Medicare does NOT automatically mean the taxpayer was covered all year.  Form 1099-SSA does NOT indicate all the information needed to verify coverage for all 12 months.

Now my rant...  As long as the IRS continues to grant reprives, move deadlines and ignore all the rules and penalties, there is no reason for anyone to do more than a cursory job of due diligence on this matter.  The IRS does not know how and where things are at now, nor for the last 3 years, nor where they are going, how in the world are they going to police all these. 

• Like 2