ATX Community

Microsoft to Get Pushy about Upgrading to Windows 10

Elrod

WATCH OUT...........

Come the beginning of 2016, Microsoft will get much more assertive in distributing Windows 10 upgrades to consumers and small businesses, the company's top OS executive said Thursday.

"Early next year, we expect to be re-categorizing Windows 10 as a 'Recommended Update.' Depending upon your Windows Update settings, this may cause the upgrade process to automatically initiate on your device," Myerson said.

SEE:...  http://www.computerworld.com/article/2999548/microsoft-windows/microsoft-to-get-pushy-about-upgrading-to-windows-10.html

• Like 2

I'm going to guess that the only reliable way to run most tax software on Linux/Mac is with a virtual machine.  There's no getting away from Windows for a lot of niche software, unfortunately.  Photoshop is the one application that keeps me using Windows on my desktop (my only remaining Windows computer)

Edited by Eric

I am not convinced that all my old programs will run on 10. What if I do not want to switch yet. I guess I can turn off however I found one of my programs had a very little check box for upgrade for which I did not spot until I saw it loading and stopped it. Maybe there is a way to stop this upgrade. Suggestions?

• Like 2

Microsoft wants Windows 10 on as many PCs as possible, so it's no longer waiting for people to request a free upgrade. In the coming months, some older machines will start the upgrade process automatically.

That's a change from the way Microsoft delivered Windows 10 after its release this summer. Initially, owners of PCs running Windows 7 or 8 had to make a request, then wait to be notified when it was available for downloading.

Now the company says it's offering Windows 10 to all eligible users through the Windows Update service, which notifies PC owners when various software upgrades are available. By early next year, Microsoft will re-categorize the upgrade from "optional" to "recommended." That means the process will start automatically if users have Windows Update set to download all recommended updates.

Many PC owners use that setting to make sure they don't miss vital security fixes or essential upgrades. Some might question whether Windows 10 is essential, though Microsoft says it contains important security features and other improvements. The company also wants to increase demand for Windows 10-related apps and services.

PC owners can decline the upgrade, even if it's downloaded automatically. In a blog post, Microsoft executive Terry Myerson said users will get a prompt asking if they want to complete the change. He also said the program will save a copy of each user's old operating system and settings for 31 days, so people can switch back.

— Brandon Bailey, AP Technology Writer