ATX Community

Uber Driver. Matching. Where do you report?

Pacun

I guess amazon, e-bay and Uber will issue 1099K to the earner and to the IRS. For matching purposes how are you reporting this income? Are you using the 1099-misc form when preparing their taxes, which is sent to Sch C where you enter expenses?

I don't have an Uber driver but I have a Turo renter.  I used Schedule C for income and expenses.  Yes, client got a 1099-MISC equivalent from Turo.  (Not the form itself, but all the info on paper with a "we are reporting this to the IRS and treat this like a 1099.")

I do the same as Jack stated. There is not an input for information from the 1099K. I would not just randomly decide to use the 1099MISC instead. My software allows detail of where the income is from. I use the gross proceeds from cash/check sales on Sch C line 1 and the line for other income to show the amounts from the 1099K. Prints out a nice statement that transmits with the return.

But it's NOT other income, it's just the amount of sales that were paid by credit card. Why not then just report on the worksheet behind line 1:  one for cash/check sales and one for reported on 1099-K if you want a statement?  

One big big issue with 1099-k for people who sell goods subject to sales tax when all of the transactions are by credit card, like internet sales, the amount on line 1 will be less than the amount on the 1099-k.