ATX Community

ACA from Marketplace to Medicaid

Lion EA

So, I have my first ACA coming up.  It's my kids, so a freebie.  H/W on Marketplace January - June with 1095-A.  W finds out she's pregnant and notifies the Marketplace which puts her on Medicaid but keeps H on Marketplace so H only 1095-A July - October.  Baby born prematurely in October so baby and W both on Medicaid.  H with larger family size has new 1095-A for October - December.  Son has numbers all year; although, two sets of numbers for October.  W has numbers January - June.  Baby has no numbers.  How do I note that the missing months for W and baby are on Medicaid and, therefore, MEC all year?

According to the 1040 instructions, check the box on line 61 of the 1040 if everyone had MEC for the year, and that would include if the baby was covered for every month after the birth month through the end of the year. Baby doesn't have to be covered in the month of birth to still be able to check the box.

Or are you asking how to fill in the 8962?

They have one 1095-B that lists the W for June-December and the baby for October-December.  They have a 1095-A that lists W and H for January-June with columns A, B, and C.  A second 1095-A for H for July-October with three columns.  And, a third 1095-A for H October-December (yes, two Octobers for H) with three columns.  Help!

9 hours ago, jklcpa said:

According to the 1040 instructions, check the box on line 61 of the 1040 if everyone had MEC for the year, and that would include if the baby was covered for every month after the birth month through the end of the year. Baby doesn't have to be covered in the month of birth to still be able to check the box.

Or are you asking how to fill in the 8962?

That is what I would be asking Judy.  What if they have a premium tax credit?  These multitude of forms are making me crazy.:wall:

Lion asked: "How do I note that the missing months for W and baby are on Medicaid and, therefore, MEC all year?"

mcb39 asked: "What if they have a premium tax credit?"

Doc1.docxDoc1.docx

To simplify this, I made the summary chart above with what happened with Lion's son's family regarding this coverage, the dates, and the type of 1095 received that is shown in brackets.  Those 1095s, whether A- or B-type, shows that everyone had coverage.

This shows that each member of the household had MEC for the entire year, or in the case of the baby born in Oct, for the entire period of its life during the tax year. Check the box on line 61 of the 1040.

For the 8962, if the software allows entry of multiple 1095As, enter each 1095-A as reported and received.  If the software doesn't allow input of more than one 1095A (mine does, making it easier),  simply add the numbers from the three 1095As together and enter the totals for each month.  Add them up and enter the totals.

If entered correctly, the monthly totals from the three 1095As will be reported on the 8962, part II, lines 12-23 in cols a, b, and f.   The software should complete the rest of the form.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lion EA said:

(yes, two Octobers for H) with three columns.  Help!

Did he actually pay 2 premiums on himself for October and receive 2 APTC's for the same month? If not, then one of his 1095A's is in error. He may need to call the Marketplace.

If you do have to call the (Fed) marketplace now to get any correction, I'd suggest putting the return on extension. I've been waiting almost 6 weeks for a corrected 1095A for one.  Corrections have to be escalated to a higher level representative and then weeks later the marketplace contacts the taxpayer to discuss the changes and say whether the change is approved and that corrected form will be issued.  Not sure about the state marketplaces and corrections since my state partners with the Federal exchange.

I think the two Octobers were due to the family size that increased 7 October when emergency C-section.  But husband is only one with two Octobers.

What I find confusing, is that the PA Marketplace moved mother-to-be to Medicaid in July when she reported to them in June that she was pregnant.  But, she was working and had income.  Husband was jobless all year and they kept him in PA Marketplace.

Then mother remained on Medicaid with baby from October forward.  Husband remained on PA Marketplace with different amounts, which makes sense due to increase in family size, but why not Medicaid with no income?

I can enter multiple forms, so going to try this today.  I hate Obamacare.

• Like 2