ATX Community

Healthcare for US Citizen Living in SIngapore

Lion EA

Client moved to Singapore a couple years ago to teach at the National University of Singapore for a few years.  Healthcare coverage continued from his old job through July 2015; I have his Form 1095-C.  What do I need to know?  What do I need to ask him?  Married with two children; whole family is in Singapore.  What forms do I include in his return?

I think you posted about this same client back on 4/8, unless you have more than one client teaching in Singapore. ;) You'll find that topic in the ACA forum. Did you ever establish whether the coverage they have through the U of Singapore qualifies as MEC?  That will determine which forms you will need.

And, continued this question on my original thread over on the ACA Forum, in case any of you have preceded me into tax prep for US citizens working abroad but making lots of trips back to the US and having healthcare via their foreign employer.

Thank you.  They were NOT out of the country for 330 days within any 365 period.  So, it hinges on "Certain foreign coverage" &/or if she has documentation that it was MEC (unlikely for the documentation, but possible it was MEC).

Do I fill out forms?  Is it an exemption?  Which?  Or, just check the box for full-year coverage?

• Like 1

LionEA gave much more detail of this client's situation in the topic she started back on 4/8 in the ACA forum, and it would be most beneficial to keep all of the answers in one location. I'm not merging the two topics since the most recent answers may be slightly out of order and may not make sense if I do that. I'm locking this one and direct anyone else wishing to respond over to this topic in our ACA forum.  Thanks.

• Like 1

• jklcpa locked this topic