ATX Community

Something new under the sun / twin pen

BLACK BART

Client brought in two IRS letters yesterday.  This is the same couple as in my post of 11-16-16 ("Unpaid Taxes for 2015") who e-filed and mailed a check (10-15-16) for the balance due which IRS promptly cashed, then billed them two weeks later for the same money.  I sent front/back of the check plus explanation to IRS; nothing heard back, so guess (hope) that part is done with. 

But, they always owe about $300 penalty/interest and prefer to wait until IRS sends a bill.  It (they) arrived yesterday -- two CP501 letters, same dollar amount on each, for this married filing joint return - one for HIM and one for HER.  Further, although each bill has only one taxpayer's name on it, the husband's social security number is on both and the wife's is nowhere.  

I've never seen this happen before and wonder if it's the same nut/section that handled the first deal or is the system going haywire? I replied/explained, but it was somewhat awkward 'cause there's no nice way to say "You're crazy."

• Like 2

Thanks folks. I had not seen this before. It's a relief to know that it's only the client (and me) becoming hysterical rather than IRS.  Also we did pay just the husband's and disregarded hers. 

This is kind of like the separate 2848 POA forms each must sign whereas previously both spouses could sign the same one. The thinking behind all this (either cynical or realistic - not sure which) must be that, just because you trusted somebody enough to marry them, doesn't mean you can trust them with money :unsure:.

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 2:35 PM, BLACK BART said:

I've never seen this happen before and wonder if it's the same nut/section that handled the first deal or is the system going haywire? I replied/explained, but it was somewhat awkward 'cause there's no nice way to say "You're crazy."

This has been going on for several years, and I am surprised you haven't come across it before.  Seems as though one or the other party on a MFJ return could claim "I never got the letter...." if it was addressed to just the primary SSN.  So now each gets one (in separate envelope) and have been duly notified. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Burke said:

This has been going on for several years, and I am surprised you haven't come across it before...

Not as surprised as I was and it depends on what you call "several" years - these same people previously received a joint penalty notice (one bill-both names) on Nov. 11, 2013.  Also, the original bill they just received (October 31, 2016) for non-payment of the 1040 tax was a joint notice (one bill-both names).

4 hours ago, Burke said:

...Seems as though one or the other party on a MFJ return could claim "I never got the letter...." if it was addressed to just the primary SSN.  So now each gets one (in separate envelope) and have been duly notified. 

Yeah, that's what I said in my above post - I was commenting on the sad state of affairs (no pun intended) nowadays; to wit: IRS deems it necessary to advise we can't trust our spouses. 

• Like 1

In my experience, only the final series of notices (the serious ones) are mailed to both spouses, usually certified.  These are the Statutory Notice of Deficiency, Intent to Levy, etc.  By the time taxpayers get these, they have usually successfully ignored the previous 10 notices.

• Like 4