ATX Community

client signatures

Donny

I have been under the impression all these years that my clients had to sign all the forms,8879,1040 etc. and I keep these on file.and I give them a copy of all the forms. client just came in and stated her friend went to anoter tax person and he did not sign anything nor did she give him a copy of the forms. Is this legal. I know we use pin for e-filing but should he have signed the copies.This sounds like the tax person did not want him to know what she had filed on him.

Read circular 230. I believe it's VERY clear that the client is entitled to a complete copy of his tax return for his own records.

You are not allowed to efile a return without having signatures on file.

I have been under the impression all these years that my clients had to sign all the forms,8879,1040 etc. and I keep these on file.and I give them a copy of all the forms. client just came in and stated her friend went to anoter tax person and he did not sign anything nor did she give him a copy of the forms. Is this legal. I know we use pin for e-filing but should he have signed the copies.This sounds like the tax person did not want him to know what she had filed on him.

The copy you keep of the 8879 and related state schedule can now be digital - scanned in and kept on computer. I run a paperless office and backup the computer often.

Can we go back the last 2 years and scan in the signed 8879 and the W2's and 1099's and keep them on the computer?

Or is it just starting this year?

Yes, you have to have a signture at least on the 8879 and keep the copy in your records for 3 years.

I think that technically you can file a return without a signed 8879 if you use the self-select PIN (requires entry of the client's birthday and last year's AGI or PIN), AND the client actually enters the PIN on your keyboard.

Why anyone would file such a return without some evidence that the client actually approved it is beyond me.