ATX Community

Driver's License Field Needed

ETax847

1 minute ago, Randall said:

Last year, Alabama required it.  Ohio requires either drivers license number or an email address.  And the email address can be the paid preparer email.

Driver's License information is required for ALL Ohio returns in 2016.  There is a place to mark if the person does not have a Driver's License.  Otherwise, Ohio will reject the return if that information is missing.

2 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Driver's License information is required for ALL Ohio returns in 2016.  There is a place to mark if the person does not have a Driver's License.  Otherwise, Ohio will reject the return if that information is missing.

Thanks, I hadn't checked it yet for this year.

I called Ohio tax hotline... depends on who you talk to there.. the last rep told me the state wants the drivers license info and if not entered the taxpayer may get an identity proof letter.. but as far as absolutely required for e-file? that rep said no though another one said yes.

Ultratax requires an entry on the "verify ID" tab for all states, even though most states don't require it.  A rep told me the IRS requires it (wrong) and that it came out of the security summit (maybe as an idea?).  We can mark "none provided" and the diagnostic goes away because we made an entry.  In other words, you can't just ignore the screen even if the client's state doesn't ask for ID info.  I thought marking none provided was an easy way out but the boss says enter the driver license info anyway because we'll likely need it in the near future.  BTW, NY and GA also require the info. NY will be a problem because they want a document number which is on the back of the license.

From what I've picked up, AL, GA, NY and OH require state ID.  Anyone know of other states?

Keep in mind that some are asking for date of issue and date of expiration.  Therefore a copy of each (primary and secondary taxpayer) drivers license may be needed for the correct data entry year to year.

It will be interesting to see what is acceptable going forward for those that have no drivers license or those younger/older but still filing, etc..

/s    Remember /// government gets its "teeth" in and only grows requirements but seldom lessons them.

• Like 1

Older NY licenses have the DLN on the front lower right corner in tiny print.  Don't forget to deduct the magnifying glass you'll be buying for your office.  Newer NY licenses have the DLN on the back, so if you client is uploading a copy to your portal, require the front AND back to be safe.  The change was 28 January 2014.

• Like 1

The ID Types make no sense.  You can select Driver's License / State-issued ID, or Utility Bill or Bank Statement that requires a government ID to obtain, or a Non-Governmental ID.

So what if someone only has a U.S. Passport, or foreign passport, or U.S. Permanent Resident Card?  What do you select?

2 hours ago, Chowdahead said:

The ID Types make no sense.  You can select Driver's License / State-issued ID, or Utility Bill or Bank Statement that requires a government ID to obtain, or a Non-Governmental ID.

So what if someone only has a U.S. Passport, or foreign passport, or U.S. Permanent Resident Card?  What do you select?

Ohio is very specific.  Driver's License information.  No other option other than a person not having a driver's license.  Ohio can cross check the database for identity verification.