ATX Community

ATX Auto Save

Randall

Did someone say the auto save doesn't work in ATX?  I opened a new client just to put some numbers in to see a hypothetical outcome.  Put in the names John and Jane Doe.  Did not click save.  Closed the return, was prompted to save or don't save.  Clicked don't save.  But in the return manager, I had an 'Auto Saved Return' with John and Jane Doe.  I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but this return was auto saved.

Actually when you closed the return you triggered a different function called "autobackup", which does work.

Autosave is intended to to prevent loss of data, when ATX crashes or your computer crashes while you have the return  open.

I agree with Jack, unplug your computer with a return open and see what happens.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cbslee said:

Actually when you closed the return you triggered a different function called "autobackup", which does work.

Autosave is intended to to prevent loss of data, when ATX crashes or your computer crashes while you have the return  open.

I agree with Jack, unplug your computer with a return open and see what happens.

Thanks for explaining the difference.  I do try to click save now and then while working in a return.  Can't help it if there's a crash but I wouldn't want to unplug my computer just to test it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cbslee said:

But if it didn't also save the return, you'd have a backup but still no return. And I know you can close a return without saving because I play around in returns all the time and close without saving my changes.

I'm in the opposite camp. I'm so glad ATX lets you turn off autosave. I always complained about this with other software I used. Sometimes, you just screw up and need to close the return without saving.

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

But if it didn't also save the return, you'd have a backup but still no return. And I know you can close a return without saving because I play around in returns all the time and close without saving my changes.

I'm in the opposite camp. I'm so glad ATX lets you turn off autosave. I always complained about this with other software I used. Sometimes, you just screw up and need to close the return without saving.

Until you work on a return for an hour, the program crashes and you lost your whole hour's worth of work.  You will change your tune.

1 hour ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Until you work on a return for an hour, the program crashes and you lost your whole hour's worth of work.  You will change your tune.

Anybody that works on anything for an hour without saving, gets what they deserve. You once accused me of saving too often! Ha! No. Such. Thing.

And, I've never had ATX crash where I couldn't save my return before closing.

• Like 1