ATX Community

How do you respond?

ILLMAS

This year I am asking for more documents for my EIC/CTC etc.... clients, a few had asked me why I was asking for so many documents if their friends preparer didn't, I respond by saying I am not responsible for what others are doing, I am responsible for myself and business.

MAS

• Like 1

I have been asking people for a few years now. They don't question me anymore. When they call to make the appointment, we ask if they have children, if yes, we need school, medical or daycare records. We also ask for Insurance cards. When people asked, I said, the IRS is asking for. This year, I was tempted to say "we have a new administration and they are tough", but I didn't. That explanation would work though.

• Like 1

The responses sound reasonable to me.  My clients know better than to ask that kind of question.  They learned along time ago that I march to the beat of my own drummer and don't give a flip about what other practitioners do.  The folks on this forum being an exception to that statement, of course! :)

• Like 4

I have very few EIC clients, but one with the ACTC also had W2s for each of their kids for a photo shoot the whole family did. Relied on docs? Sure did. The EIC one I did had a 1099-SSA because he and his child are disabled. So in both cases they has government docs with the children's addresses on them. Can't get better than that, I'd think. 

• Like 1