ATX Community

child is 19 but still dependent, not student. 8615?

schirallicpa

over the last few years, have had to file 8615 for children (twins) of man when they have over 2100 of dividends and interest.  however, this year they are 19.  They only have the dividends.  $2589 each.  they do not have w2 income.  they are still on his tax return as his dependents.  however, they are not students.  so i think the 8615 goes away, but that means that they have no tax at all.  which is good for them, but it makes me nervous now.  I think its just too late on Friday afternoon to do this kind of stuff.  

headed out to get a fish fry.  the best part about being catholic in Western ny.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, schirallicpa said:

over the last few years, have had to file 8615 for children (twins) of man when they have over 2100 of dividends and interest.  however, this year they are 19.  They only have the dividends.  $2589 each.  they do not have w2 income.  they are still on his tax return as his dependents.  however, they are not students.  so i think the 8615 goes away, but that means that they have no tax at all.  which is good for them, but it makes me nervous now.  I think its just too late on Friday afternoon to do this kind of stuff.  

headed out to get a fish fry.  the best part about being catholic in Western ny.

It appears that 8615 is still required for the twins.  For #2, they are required to file because unearned income is greater than $1,050.

58e834cdd6771_8615filing_LI.jpg.9eb38a85bbe9fb642c058d13beee2c08.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BHoffman said:

Where in Western NY?  I grew up around Chautauqua Lake.  Good fish fry there at a place called the See-Zuhr House :)

You are familiar with no-where's-ville!  I work in Wellsville.  We have friends who own a cabin on Chautauqua.  I love going out on that lake.  I will look for See-Zuhr House next time we are out there, but I think I remember seeing it because of the name.  

So we live about 45min or so from Chautauqua - maybe an hour.  We live in Bolivar, and would travel to Olean, Salamanca - the old Route 17, which is now 86.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schirallicpa said:

cool....same route.  but we're westward.  Chautuaqua is near Lake Erie.

The See-Zuhr House is in beautiful downtown Bemus Point. If you go there, check out the ferry and the old Hotel Lenhart. Bemus is my favorite summer destination and where I lived as a child.  It was a great place to grow up :)