ATX Community

Things that make me go hmmmm

Chowdahead

With all of these e-mail alerts from the IRS about new scams and identity theft, I wonder why the IRS continues to do two specific things:

1. When making a payment the voucher instructs the taxpayer to write their SSN on their check or money order.  I advise my clients against doing this because a digital image of that check or money order could turn up anywhere and in anyone's hands.  Even the voucher only has the last 4 digits of the tp SSN so I don't understand why the IRS continues to ask people to do this.
  2. When replying to a notice, there is a spot on the IRS that asks for the phone number and best time to call.  Yet in all of the scam alerts from the IRS they specifically state that the IRS will never call a taxpayer, and that they communicate via mail, and if a person receives a call from someone stating they are with the IRS, then  it is a scam.  So then why request the phone number and best time to call?

I'm sure I have seen other things, but these seem like the most glaring...

• Like 10

4 hours ago, WITAXLADY said:

hhmm

and 8867 is going to help prevent identity theft , like I haven't vetted my clients already - figured it cost me four weeks of time!

That's how far behind I am.

That's exactly how I feel about it. It wasted so much of my time. I don't take any client that isn't related to or comes highly recommended to me. 

• Like 2

The changed deadlines really broke my stride, but all the time explaining why I'm asking questions I already know the answers to, having them sign a form that's not really meant for them but I need to cover my butt, was a LOT of wasted time and a big contributor to how far behind I am right now.  I spend a lot of time trying to get the details of the tax return correct, but that form is just a waste of time in a practice like mine.  If a client fooled me for 20 years, a a new form isn't going to expose them.

• Like 4

I am not an employee of the federal or state government. Like I am sure all of you I try to put down correct information but in the end it's the client's info. In over thirty years I have had only two field audits of clients. One gave far too much money away and a farmer who went over fifteen years reporting losses and who on audit WAS REFUNDED $54.00 FOR THE FEDERAL GAS TAX :).

• Like 5