ATX Community

Ok, this is worrying me to death

RitaB

New client just picked up 2013 return.  Refund in excess of $10,000.  Has to be mailed.  Husband died in Oct 2015.  I entered his DOD, and "Filing as Surviving Spouse" printed in TP signature box.  "Deceased Blah, Blah, Blah" did NOT print at top.  Why not?  I figured it had something to do with the death being two years in the future, if you know what I mean.  Now it is worrying me to death.

Should I write that in (Deceased Blah, Blah...) and have her mail a second return today?

I rolled over the 2013 return and opened 2014, and the "Deceased Blah, Blah"  DID show at top.  This is worrying me to death that she's going to lose that refund over something stupid.  Of course, it is the ultimate in stupidity for her to wait until NOW to file, but that won't matter.  It will be my fault.  Everything is our fault.

• Like 3

Tax Topics 356 says toward the bottom:  "If you're a surviving spouse filing a joint return and there's no appointed personal representative, you should sign the return and write in the signature area 'Filing as surviving spouse.' A surviving spouse can file joint returns for the taxable year in which the death occurred and, if the death occurred before filing the return, for the taxable year immediately before the year of death."

Makes me think the "Deceased Blah, Blah" not printing on a 2013 return when the DOD was in 2015 might be ok.

• Like 4

I think you are fine - they might return it to be written on - but it should not be rejected for that and if so - tax advocate will go to bat - at least in WI mho

D

i have about 12  - 2013's to do and of course I did not mark them clearly if actually printed and mailed !!!

• Like 4

Thanks, Guys.  I opened another 2013 return and entered DOD 10/28/2015 (that guy was a PITA so it was sorta fun doing that) and "Deceased Blah, Blah" did NOT print at top, so it wasn't just something stupid like printing page 1 too soon.  Not that we trust software.  Curious if other software does the same and I know nobody's busy so...

One more thing:

7 hours ago, WITAXLADY said:

i have about 12  - 2013's to do...

Wait, what?  How does that happen?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RitaB said:

Um...

Or skip it - and sleep well.  Sufficient unto the day and all that.  Either it will be well, or you will have a chance to make it well later.

If you can't sleep, have a drink.  I think I might put some whiskey in my next cup of tea.  I am SO done with this week.

• Like 6