ATX Community

efile rejected and need to mail the return

swiftax

What do you do if a return is rejected because filer's SSN and name does not match IRS Master file. (I sent and resent it numerous times without any success so I gave up) Do you mail the return with 8879? I do not ask my clients to sign the 1040 but only the 8879 and because of that the 1040 form I have does not bear client's signitue.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

What do you do if a return is rejected because filer's SSN and name does not match IRS Master file. (I sent and resent it numerous times without any success so I gave up) Do you mail the return with 8879? I do not ask my clients to sign the 1040 but only the 8879 and because of that the 1040 form I have does not bear client's signitue.

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Is the return for a married couple? Is it possible that the wife never changed to her husband's name? That has happened to me in the past and once I input the wifes's maiden name, the retun is accepted with no issues.

Just a thought.

Is the return for a married couple? Is it possible that the wife never changed to her husband's name? That has happened to me in the past and once I input the wifes's maiden name, the retun is accepted with no issues.

Just a thought.

Yardley

He is filing as HH.

Thanks

Jeff

Swifttax,

Before you give up...

I had a reject 3 times on W2 not matching master file. Everything was correct. I deleted the record for the W2 and entered it fresh and it went without a hitch.

I think sometimes the form gets corrupted. It may be the case with you. You may be able to delete and redo (I know, it can be a lot of work when it is the 1040 form), but it may just be a random symbol in the form that you cannot see.

I was pulling out what hair I had left on mine, we restored all the fields and retyped etc.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Had a similiar problem last year. I don't remember who I called but they were helpful. They would not tell me the correct ssn but if I told them they would tell me if I was correct. So I played guess the number. I started with number that was similiar like 3 and 8, 5 and 2, and then I just counted from 0 to 9 and when I hit the correct number they told me I was correct. Privacy Laws!!!!!!

Is this a new client in your office? Did you successfully efile him last year?

I have them go the Soc Sec Office and get a "verification print out" on their soc sec#.

Sometimes there is a mistake in the Social Security Records, could be the spelling of their name, could even be

that the ordering of the names is backwards.. (more often with foreign names) Sometimes a chinese name for example can have several syllables... Which is really the last name, first name, etc. ... In the beginning we used to get a lot of these problems.. If he efiled somewhere else last year... what did they use? J

Just some thoughts on the matter.

And no I would not mail the return with the 8879 attached. If they need to mail it in, Print them a filing copy for them to mail in.

If they're not local, mail them the return with a note to sign and mail. If local, ask them to stop in to pick up a return to sign and mail. Do not mail returns for clients; you have no control over the USPS. At least you get a code telling you what went wrong with e-filing.