ATX Community

NT-Somewhat disgusting topic

Booger

All you dog owners out there. My 3 year old German Shepard (Daisy) likes

to eat her POOP. I've tried putting Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce on it, but she still

eats away.

Any suggestions would be helpful (I WARNED you that this was a disgusting topic).

Booger (Grossed-Out Dog Owner)

I love German Shepherds. My first was back in 1973 and she was my BEST friend for 11 years. It took me 20 years to get over having to put her down - the second worst day of my life. Maggie, my current GS, was a Christmas present from my dear wife 2 years ago (because she got tired of hearing me whine everytime I saw a GS) and I am so in love with that dog. Yes, they eat poop. That is the wild animal in them. They get nutients from that, according to the readings I have done. If you give your GS a big raw steak, she will probably ignore the poop. Now I feed Maggie a very well balanced diet - in fact, she eats better than me - and that minimizes the poop eating. But I do not think it will ever be eliminated. So the best advice would be to feed her well, and keep her area cleaned up. Maggie, BTW, is pure-bred and at two and a-half years old, she tips the scales at 50.2 pounds. That's what a well balanced diet and exercise gets you.

Booger, there are supplements that you can give her that will help. I believe that one is chorophyll. I don't have this prob w/ my 3, becuase I follow them around with a garden trowl & pick up their little toosie rolls. They're chihuahuas so this is possible for me. With a shepherd, a bigger shovel is required!

Seriously, there's a great website with lots of knowledgeable dog owners that discuss this very topic. It seems to come up frequently. Here's an active discussion from that board right now: http://www.ourdogsonline.com/ubbthreads.ph...9833#Post159833

If you want to search their archives, you'd have to set yourself up as a user (no big deal, free too). Here's their main page of their forums (even without joining, you can lurk & learn, just can't view the photo/video forum): http://www.ourdogsonline.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

Booger, there are supplements that you can give her that will help. I believe that one is chorophyll. I don't have this prob w/ my 3, becuase I follow them around with a garden trowl & pick up their little toosie rolls. They're chihuahuas so this is possible for me. With a shepherd, a bigger shovel is required!

Seriously, there's a great website with lots of knowledgeable dog owners that discuss this very topic. It seems to come up frequently. Here's an active discussion from that board right now: http://www.ourdogsonline.com/ubbthreads.ph...9833#Post159833

If you want to search their archives, you'd have to set yourself up as a user (no big deal, free too). Here's their main page of their forums (even without joining, you can lurk & learn, just can't view the photo/video forum): http://www.ourdogsonline.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

thanks, jklcpa, I'll check it out.

Booger

Thanks for the diversion today. Actually I will say this and then get right back to work. Flower, my first GS, was in our back yard in Texas (the yard was fenced) and this new meter reader guy jumped over the retainer wall not knowing Flower was in the back yard. I heard this God-awful barking and thought my poor baby was in trouble. I almost ran through the sliding glass door trying to see what was the trouble. That poor guy - I don't know if he just jumped 15 feet high into the top of that pear tree - or if he just climbed it real fast. Flower only ever got about as big as Daisy is now, but I am sure to that meter reader, she looked twelve feet tall.

Yes, Daisy will be GREAT with anyone that the pack leader is OK with. Everyone else, she will view as a potential threat.

All you dog owners out there. My 3 year old German Shepard (Daisy) likes

to eat her POOP.

I once had a dog that it took me forever to paper train her. After she finally learned to go on the paper she started dragging the poop all over the place.

I once had a dog that it took me forever to paper train her. After she finally learned to go on the paper she started dragging the poop all over the place.

My 5# neutered female Japanese Chin leaves "gifts" during the night behind my husband's recliner. Guess she likes him more than she likes me!

AnnieR