ATX Community

Proceeds from Broker

helow

Want to make sure my approach is accurate:

1) TP is a day trader. 1099 shows various stocks bought and sold. To calculate gain or loss, I deducted TOTAL PURCHASES LESS THE PURCHASE PRICES OF STOCKS NOT SOLD=COST OF STOCKS SOLD. I then deducted this from the sales proceeds.

2) Since I cannot list all stocks I entered Varion for all fields. Is this accurate.

3) In Capital G/L detail schedule, transaction type I selected Personal Sales (8) from the dropdown,.

I would appreciate if someone could give advise on above.

Thanks much

Jeff

Its not easy to qualify as a day trader even if that is all this taxpayer is doing. You should make sure your taxpayer qualifies. The default for an individual with large stock transaction traded for his own account is as an *investor* with the requirement that all transactions are reported in detail on 1040 Sch-D or attached schedule with similar columns and headings.

Enter them one at a time like I do ! I did one last week with 45 transactions. I always explain to these clients that the more the trades, the higher my bill.

If the trades were all with one broker, and you enter one total that agrees with theirs, it might fly. Then again, ??

Why do you say you cannot enter all transactions?? There is no limit on the number that I know of. You might suggest to the client that they keep a spreadsheet in Sch D format, and you could use that as an attachment to the return. I do quite a bit of trading and I keep the spreadsheet up to date during the year, and at year end, I just print it off and good to go.

Want to make sure my approach is accurate:

1) TP is a day trader. 1099 shows various stocks bought and sold. To calculate gain or loss, I deducted TOTAL PURCHASES LESS THE PURCHASE PRICES OF STOCKS NOT SOLD=COST OF STOCKS SOLD. I then deducted this from the sales proceeds.

2) Since I cannot list all stocks I entered Varion for all fields. Is this accurate.

3) In Capital G/L detail schedule, transaction type I selected Personal Sales (8) from the dropdown,.

I would appreciate if someone could give advise on above.

Thanks much

Jeff

Are you using the input tab for the Sch. D? Why do you say you cannot list all the stocks? Transaction type is not Personal Sales (8), it is (1). If you use (8), losses will not be allowed.

Maybe I misread the post, but someone with 29 trades is not a day trader. I had a client 3 years ago with just under 500 transactions (less than a 1000 trades) and it a major effort on both our parts to convince the IRS, he was definitely a day trader. (Probably, because he made money.)

Of course you can put down as many trades as there happen to be. Why do you think there's a continuation page for the D?

Maybe I misread the post, but someone with 29 trades is not a day trader. I had a client 3 years ago with just under 500 transactions (less than a 1000 trades) and it a major effort on both our parts to convince the IRS, he was definitely a day trader. (Probably, because he made money.)