ATX Community

HELP! I've done a stupid thing

gfizer

I had a client in to sign returns. While he was here he wanted to do some tax planning as he will begin drawing his ss benefits this year. I plugged in his projected ss benefits on this year's return so we could get an idea of how his return would be affected (yes, I know this was stupid but I was in a hurry). I guess the automatic backup feature saved the return before I closed it and now I've efiled the return with the projected figures for 2008 on it and not the 2007 figures. Is my only option to amend the return? Or can I somehow retract the efile before it is accepted?

I had a client in to sign returns. While he was here he wanted to do some tax planning as he will begin drawing his ss benefits this year. I plugged in his projected ss benefits on this year's return so we could get an idea of how his return would be affected (yes, I know this was stupid but I was in a hurry). I guess the automatic backup feature saved the return before I closed it and now I've efiled the return with the projected figures for 2008 on it and not the 2007 figures. Is my only option to amend the return? Or can I somehow retract the efile before it is accepted?

Unless its rejected, you'll have to amend

been there done that last year, yep you have to amend. I made sure this year when the client came in that I deleted dupicate before e-filing, you can't change it after it's been sent.

Thanks. I was afraid of that. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Thankfully the client is a close friend so I'm sure he'll be understanding. You can be sure I'll be much more careful in the future.

ATX rejects any created efile when you save again. So, I guess you did your tax planning and recreated the efile. You must amend if it is not rejected for other reason.

If you catch it immediately, you can sometimes stop it by refiling it. Right or wrong, it doesn't matter. If they go in the same drain, they'll both be rejected. If you don't notice for a few hours, you're out of luck.

ATX rejects any created efile when you save again. So, I guess you did your tax planning and recreated the efile. You must amend if it is not rejected for other reason.