ATX Community

ATX/CCH lost 06 Information

Terry D EA

I just got off of the phone with tech support. I am working on a 2006 return that one of my very good clients got a CP2000 claiming items on his schedule D were left off of the return and they are proposing changes, etc. All of the information that the IRS is claiming as not being reported on the original return, were indeed on the return. Here's the problem, tech support says they cannot access any information about 2006 because they changed the server. I asked them for a report that shows the return and line items transmitted to the IRS. THEY DON'T HAVE IT!!!!! I asked the girl, that what she was saying was that they had no information available from the 2006 tax year and how in the $*&^ were we supposed to prove to the IRS that we did transmit the proper information and she said it was true they don't have the information and she was sorry.

What kind of crap is this? William provided this information to me a few years back without a problem. Isn't there some type of statute that CCH/ATX has to follow on maintaining information they transmit? How in the world are we supposed to prove what items were on the original return that the IRS received to dispute their claim??? Does anyone have any ideas as to what I need to do with this?

The IRS is proposing a change in the amount of 4,000+ due which is wrong. Maybe ATX/CCH would like to call my client and apologize to him and pay this for the client being they can't prove anything! Needless to say that I am extremely upset with this and I really feel ATX/CCH has to have some accountability here. Any ideas please!

Terry D.

I just got off of the phone with tech support. I am working on a 2006 return that one of my very good clients got a CP2000 claiming items on his schedule D were left off of the return and they are proposing changes, etc. All of the information that the IRS is claiming as not being reported on the original return, were indeed on the return. Here's the problem, tech support says they cannot access any information about 2006 because they changed the server. I asked them for a report that shows the return and line items transmitted to the IRS. THEY DON'T HAVE IT!!!!! I asked the girl, that what she was saying was that they had no information available from the 2006 tax year and how in the $*&^ were we supposed to prove to the IRS that we did transmit the proper information and she said it was true they don't have the information and she was sorry.

What kind of crap is this? William provided this information to me a few years back without a problem. Isn't there some type of statute that CCH/ATX has to follow on maintaining information they transmit? How in the world are we supposed to prove what items were on the original return that the IRS received to dispute their claim??? Does anyone have any ideas as to what I need to do with this?

The IRS is proposing a change in the amount of 4,000+ due which is wrong. Maybe ATX/CCH would like to call my client and apologize to him and pay this for the client being they can't prove anything! Needless to say that I am extremely upset with this and I really feel ATX/CCH has to have some accountability here. Any ideas please!

Terry D.

Can you check the paper copies and see if in fact you reported it? If the IRS claims you didn't, then a 1040X will solve your problem and since it will match what the IRS is saying, no extra tax will be owed.

This won't help you check individual items on the return that was efiled, but as a starting point how about checking the ack received back from the fed. Does the refund or bal due match the 8879 or 8453 printed & in the client's file? Go back to ATX 2006 program & look at the efile of the return. Is it the same as your paper copy in the client's file?

I always print out a copy of the forms contained in the efile. If the above documents all match, then check to see if Sch D is listed as being included in the efile.

I know it's not a big help, but possibly a start.

Good luck.

Terry,

I know you don't want to hear this, but the first thing you need to do is calm down. You are justified in your anger, but that will not solve the client's problem. I know it is the last thing you want to hear (I know this from experience) because you have every right to yell at CCH.

It seems to me that a letter from you with a copy of the return you believe you filed electronically will solve the issue. jklcpa also has a place for you to look to see what happened. If that does not fix the issue, an ammended return would probably do the trick.

I would love to see what happens if you ask the IRS to use its supeona power to compel ATX to produce the record of the transmission. Could be fun to watch them try to explain that one.

I hate it when I can't bill for work that I have to do because of no fault of my own. It is not fair, but it is the life we choose.

Good luck, have a cocktail this evening, watch a game on tv, throw pillows at the wall. It will work out in the end.

Tom

Lodi, CA

We had several of these. There were several updates to Schedule D last year, and information did NOT get transmitted to the IRS.

Save yourself the heartburn and anxiety! I have had success with two different types of response.

1) Reply to the notice and include a completed Schedule D.

2) Create a 1040X using the IRS numbers as original.

I find choice number one to be the easiest and fastest. The IRS is just looking for the basis in most cases.

Make sure you respond to the address on the notice.