ATX Community

tax return was rejected due to dependent was claimed by others.

cl2019

taxpayer's return efile was rejected as dependent ssn "was used as a Dependent SSN on a previously filed tax return for the same tax period"
I understand one option is to paper file the return and let IRS check the issue. But due to the current IRS center closure, is this still a valid option? 
Any other ways to go around this issue?
Thank you

If the child filed a tax return and claimed his/her own exemption, that return will need to be amended first.

If another person claimed the child, a paper return needs to be filed. When this happens to me, I make sure to attach some proof of dependency in addition to the 8867.

• Like 1

I have this every year with a client.  Couple's son is deceased, they have legal custody of two grandsons.  Mother is 'out there' and claims them early every year.  We try efiling, wait for the rejection, then paper file.  Client has been doing this for years (only with me for the last 3).  He can't get the IRS to stop her from claiming the children.

1 minute ago, Randall said:

I have this every year with a client.  Couple's son is deceased, they have legal custody of two grandsons.  Mother is 'out there' and claims them early every year.  We try efiling, wait for the rejection, then paper file.  Client has been doing this for years (only with me for the last 3).  He can't get the IRS to stop her from claiming the children.

I wonder if Social Security can assign the kids new numbers?

23 minutes ago, Randall said:

I had a client's ex doing this, too. We never let it slide. I also included additional proof of dependency with my client's return. She eventually learned. I believe she was claiming EIC and the IRS nailed her for it. 

@cl2019, encourage the client to file early in the season. 

3 hours ago, Possi said:

I had a client's ex doing this, too. We never let it slide. I also included additional proof of dependency with my client's return. She eventually learned. I believe she was claiming EIC and the IRS nailed her for it. 

@cl2019, encourage the client to file early in the season. 

Thank you so much for the info and suggestion. 

• Like 1