ATX Community

Lost Files

doshikc

Does ATX pay per use also keep a copy backup of the return in their servers/cloud.  I had to wipe out a laptop with everything on it.  Had just started 2019 files on it, but not printed or filed. The backup folders were also on the laptop, and I am not able to restore old files.  Just wondering if they also keep a backup.

Also, do they have a record by TIN of what I already purchased so if I recreate will not be charged again?

I don't have the answers but suspect no.  I am so sorry for this loss, too.  That's why for years I have been doing both a local external hard drive copy and BackBlaze in the cloud.  My guess is ATX would keep only forms included in an e-filed copy but don't know why ATX would keep copies of your data that is not sent to or backed up to their servers.  Good luck with this!

You say that you are not able to restore the old files.  There are places that specialize in doing that.  Unless the hard drive is badly damaged, the files written over, or the disc wiped clean, the files should still be there, even if they have been deleted.  

• Like 4

There are companies that try to recover your data but it is just a matter of luck if you get any files. Most companies with charge you about $1,000 just to look at your hard drive and then more if they believe they can recover your data.

ATX will only keep track of your efiles. I don't know if they keep a copy of the efile files but for sure they have records if your returns were accepted or rejected.

Doshikc,

ATX will not charge you again for the software you have purchased already. Just log on to their site and you should be able to download it again and install it.

Recovery attempts work best if the drive has been untouched since the data disappeared.  Any sort of wiping or reformatting reduces the odds greatly.

Before recreating, design and implement a good backup plan.

1.  Decide how much work you are willing to recreate.  For me, it is half a day.  This becomes your minimum backup frequency.

I backup onto: a portable drive connected to router, a second computer on my local network (my backup computer, ready to go if main fails), a web server I control, and an AWS cloud account.  Twice a day "incrementals".  Weekly full.  Monthly full.  Quarterly full.  (I use Cobian backup and CloudBerry for software to upload/download to my storage points.  I use two different storage software in case one fails.)

I do not trust the online services.  The main reason is most people use the defaults, and do NOT manage to backup all important data - not realizing it until they need their backup.

2.  TEST AND RETEST.  Unless you actually go through a simulated recovery (say into a separate folder on your drive), you have no idea in you know what if you really can recover.  There is no point in having backups unless you routinely prove you can recover from them (use the recovery process, and make sure you are backing up what you need to recover).

3.  DO NOT trust any sort of local network backup exclusively.  Your local network may fail, your computers both get damaged at the same time, etc.  You should have at least two different online/remote storage points in addition to any local storage.

4.  Do ask the software vendor about any second set of local files.  Unfortunately, if there was one, the software vendor would likely have already made it known as a feature.  In my case, we store automatic backups (for power outage) in a special folder, and also in a folder the usual free or low cost online backup vendors may "catch" and use as part of their default settings.  Candidly, drive space is no longer an issue, so all important software should be storing backups set on your drive as a cover for human errors.

• Like 1