ATX Community

LLC name change

Pacun

Others can chime in with official notices and cites. 

All I'll say is that the IRS master file goes by EIN and name control.  If the first four letters of the name remain the same, would they even notice?  Especially when so many companies get information reported with obvious, or subtle, mis-spellings, or do business under multiple names.

• Like 1

For IRS, the tax forms (1040 series, 1065, and 1120 series) all have a "name change" box near the top.  Check that and it will change the IRS master file.  You could write to the address where the return is filed, but I've never bothered.

YMMV for the state(s) and their various depts.  My state DOR requires it in writing for a global change for all its separate depts (withholding, inc tax, gross receipts tax, unemployment) and DE Sec of State for franchise tax is completely separate from DOR and definitely requires notification along with a fee. 😒

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jklcpa said:

For IRS, the tax forms (1040 series, 1065, and 1120 series) all have a "name change" box near the top.  Check that and it will change the IRS master file.  You could write to the address where the return is filed, but I've never bothered.

YMMV for the state(s) and their various depts.  My state DOR requires it in writing for a global change for all its separate depts (withholding, inc tax, gross receipts tax, unemployment) and DE Sec of State for franchise tax is completely separate from DOR and definitely requires notification along with a fee. 😒

Thank you. 

I file client's ifta every three months. Ifta is asking for the IRS letter with the new name and same EIN in order to update the IFTA information. Ifta needs to match to the new name.