ATX Community

W-7 TIN alien

grandmabee

Need help with W-7 and filing tax return. My client married someone from Poland Oct of 2007 She came into the country June of 2007. In the process of getting green card to work.

So do I file the return MFJ and attach the W-7 to the return? or do I have to file extension and wait for the tin number before filing the return. This is my first one. any help would be appreciated. The return is all ready to go then he mentions he is now married.

Need help with W-7 and filing tax return. My client married someone from Poland Oct of 2007 She came into the country June of 2007. In the process of getting green card to work.

So do I file the return MFJ and attach the W-7 to the return? or do I have to file extension and wait for the tin number before filing the return. This is my first one. any help would be appreciated. The return is all ready to go then he mentions he is now married.

File MFJ missing her SS# and attach W-7 invoking the 183 day rule and send it to Austin, TX with her passport.

File MFJ missing her SS# and attach W-7 invoking the 183 day rule and send it to Austin, TX with her passport.

Do you know how long until she gets it back? Also there is a balance due on the return The money goes to the Austin address also? They will process the return?

Thanks for all your help.

I am looking up the 183 day rule.

I did a return last October where I had to prepare serveral W-7s for spouse & children. They're a pain. I recall for some reason, I notarized the passport copies I sent in. I think that was a requirement. Then one of the W7 apps didn't get signed by one of the kids, and, ... Finally, the return went "into processing" Feb 7th or so, and they told me mid-March the refund would get out in 3-4 weeks..

I did a return last October where I had to prepare serveral W-7s for spouse & children. They're a pain. I recall for some reason, I notarized the passport copies I sent in. I think that was a requirement. Then one of the W7 apps didn't get signed by one of the kids, and, ... Finally, the return went "into processing" Feb 7th or so, and they told me mid-March the refund would get out in 3-4 weeks..

Yes, everything goes to Austin: W-7, 1040, notarized copy of passport or original passport, and payment. Use husband's social security on payment. One month later you get the passport, a week after that, the number, and 3 weeks after that, the return is proccess and refund issued if any. After you get the number, you send the state return.

When both are applying for ITIN or a single person, I do not ask my people to send payment with the return. I ask them to send payment when the number is assigned. Why? Because when they receive the payment, they assign a temp number to the payment and later they assign a different ITIN to the person and then they proccess the return without any payment. It takes a couple of letters to match the payment made with the temp number and the return with the other permanent ITIN.

Yes, everything goes to Austin: W-7, 1040, notarized copy of passport or original passport, and payment. Use husband's social security on payment. One month later you get the passport, a week after that, the number, and 3 weeks after that, the return is proccess and refund issued if any. After you get the number, you send the state return.

When both are applying for ITIN or a single person, I do not ask my people to send payment with the return. I ask them to send payment when the number is assigned. Why? Because when they receive the payment, they assign a temp number to the payment and later they assign a different ITIN to the person and then they proccess the return without any payment. It takes a couple of letters to match the payment made with the temp number and the return with the other permanent ITIN.

Can Any notary do the passport. or does it take a special notary?