ATX Community

Filer's name & SSN does not match IRS records.

Ray in Ohio

E-filed return. Rejected for the above reason. I call client up and ask him what his SSN is. He reads it right off by heart. I ask if he has is SS Card with him. He digs it out. I ask him to read the numbers directly off the card. He does, number matches with the one I have on the return. I ask him what the EXACT name is on his card. He reads it off. Matches with what I have on return.

So here's the million dollar question: WHAT THE PROBLEM IS??????????????? :mad::mad: :mad:

Is it just a single return? Sometimes it take several months for ss# to catch up with taxpayer when they marry. Don't know other than to call IRS hotline to verify.

It's married joint. But it's not the spouse. It's the filer and his name has not changed.

I have had a few where the spouse's name was wrong but the efile error noted that it was the spouse then. This says filer.

Is this a new return that you've typed in or a rollover from last year. Maybe there's a space (you hit the spacebar) that you can't see. Maybe try deleting his name & # and retyping. Or paper file the return. How long is it taking to get a reject error back?

Is this a new return that you've typed in or a rollover from last year. Maybe there's a space (you hit the spacebar) that you can't see. Maybe try deleting his name & # and retyping. Or paper file the return. How long is it taking to get a reject error back?

It is a rollover from last year, but he didn't efile last year. I had deleted the SSN before the last reject. This afternoon I checked for spaces in the name fields. Didn't see any, but I went ahead and deleted everything in the names, and the return has now been transitted that way. I would be very surprised if it would be accepted, but I am keeping my fingures crossed.

Thanks for the ideas though.

I had one one year that kept rejecting. I had a copy of her SS card, but couldn't get the damn thing efiled. Was a last minute, get in here, here are the post offices open late kind of thing. no last minute efiles for me anymore, at least not with new clients (or new efiles)