ATX Community

N/T - Another Chrome hack

jklcpa

A snippet from this article from Wed April 27th:

Google has warned billions of Chrome users that the browser has been successfully targeted by hackers, revealing 30 new security flaws, including seven that pose a 'high' threat to users. 

The tech company is now releasing an update within the next few days to fix the bugs, which affects Windows, macOS, and Linux, according to the company's statement. 

It is unclear who hacked the firm, and whether any users' security was put at risk.  

Further hack details are currently being restricted by the company 'until a majority of users are updated with a fix.'

'We will also retain restrictions if the bug exists in a third party library that other projects similarly depend on, but haven’t yet fixed,' the company also said. 

Users can manually update their browsers through the settings features, but Chrome will automatically update within a few days. 

• Like 1

• jklcpa changed the title to N/T - Another Chrome hack

I don't use Chrome all that often and have manually updated today to this version 100.0.4896.127 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Can someone confirm that this is the updated version we should have after this latest discovery, or is this the version that has the flaws that allowed these hacks and the latest patches haven't come out yet?

The latest versions of Chrome:

Platform Version Release Date

Chrome on Windows101.0.4951.412022-04-27

Chrome on macOS101.0.4951.412022-04-27

Chrome on Linux101.0.4951.412022-04-27

Chrome on Android101.0.4951.412022-04-27

Chrome on iOS101.0.4951.442022-04-26

Active exploits of all browsers are at an all time high.

No matter what browser you use keep it updated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cbslee said:

Browser updates are not usually released to everyone all at the same time, so some users will have to wait a little bit.

Thanks again for being correct. I just updated my android phone that is my latest device of ~ 1 yr old, and it is at the version 100.0.4896.127 after the update yet the Win 10 desktop is now most current, which is a very good thing since it needs and has the most protection.

• Like 1

Thanks! Apparently, Chrome started its update when I launched this morning; it was still counting up when I read this thread and looked. When it hit 100% updated, it told me to relaunch, which I did.

"Chrome is up to date

Version 101.0.4951.41 (Official Build) (64-bit)"

• Like 2

I have 2 tabs set to open whenever I start Chrome. The first tab is just New Tab, but the 2nd tab is chrome://settings/help which makes Chrome check for updates. The update failed so many times from within Chrome that I have the install file on my desktop just to update Chrome, but recently it seems to be working on from within Chrome.

image.png.abbd004b386d6677cefc8e95e756ae09.png

Same goes for Edge.

image.png

• Like 5