ATX Community

To Ohio Practitioners

Booger

From the Ohio instructions: You must first qualify for an IRS extension of time to file. Ohio does not have and Ohio extension form but honors the IRS extension. You should include with the Ohio income tax return a copy of your IRS extension or your extension confirmation number or a printed copy of the IRS acknowledgement. Except as set forth below, there is no extension of time for paying the tax. Make extension payments on form IT 40P.

It goes on to cite a $50 per month failure-to-file penalty...based on tax due. The reality is that if you efile with a payment prior by mail for any tax due or have a refund, there is no penalty. I have one client that files every 2-3 years, always with refunds and no penalties. She is just so disorganized but has other gifts.

From the Ohio instructions: You must first qualify for an IRS extension of time to file. Ohio does not have and Ohio extension form but honors the IRS extension. You should include with the Ohio income tax return a copy of your IRS extension or your extension confirmation number or a printed copy of the IRS acknowledgement. Except as set forth below, there is no extension of time for paying the tax. Make extension payments on form IT 40P.

It goes on to cite a $50 per month failure-to-file penalty...based on tax due. The reality is that if you efile with a payment prior by mail for any tax due or have a refund, there is no penalty. I have one client that files every 2-3 years, always with refunds and no penalties. She is just so disorganized but has other gifts.

But if you file extension electronically....Then, at a later date, file the federal and state returns electronically, how does the state know that you filed an extension?

But if you file extension electronically....Then, at a later date, file the federal and state returns electronically, how does the state know that you filed an extension?

Osmosis?

Or some States I think call the "Great Karnack". (sshhh as a matter of fact I consult with him too) Harder to get ahold of him these days since he died, but a good seance almost always works.

Joel

JUST SO my extended Ohio clients WON'T get a letter from Ohio, I will do the

following:

Send a paper copy of the Form 4868 for each extended client, along with a cover letter

explaining that these clients have e-filed their IRS Extension Form 4868 and will be e-filing their returns (and here is Ohio's

copy of the extension).

Should work.

Booger

Good question, I have never thought about it and never had it come up. When I efile a federal extension I usually end up paperfiling the actual return and just attach a copy of the 4868 to the Ohio return.

I think before I would send letter, etc. I would call Ohio Dept of Taxation and ask how to handle. I have had really good results with phone calls or using their email found on their website. They usually get back to me within 24 hours.

Let us know what you find out.

That is a good question. I have to say that I have efiled many extended federal and Ohio returns over a few years with no problems or correspondence. It has been my uncorroborated assumption that, since Ohio accepts the federal extension, the extension gets communicated. I will say that this is the first year that I have efiled extended federal and Ohio returns with balances due. I had the clients send in the vouchers with payments to cover. It will be interesting to see what happens!

Called ODOT and talked to "Tara". Explained the situation to her re e-filing the 4868 to IRS and whether

Ohio gets a confirm or copy of the extension. She said NO....but go ahead and do what I was planning on doing--

send a letter with the clients names and SS #'s who I have extended on-line and include a copy of the paper

4868 for each of the taxpayer's in my cover letter.

Funny, she said she has been with the department for years, and no one has ever asked (axed) this

question.

First-Time Booger