ATX Community

TRX

Terry O

Of course there will be....because that's the easy (default) thing to do. ATX is a known quantity. I know exactly what the software will be like and I know how to use it. And I have a good idea what it will cost.

From what I have seen, TRX has some faults in relation to ATX...but for a fraction of the price, maybe I can live with those faults, perhaps keeping a PRS version of ATX for backup.

However, if I want to have a choice in the matter, now is the time to evaluate competing software. Not November.

Does anyone know how to change the default zoom in TRX? What they call 100% comes out much too small for me, even on a 17" monitor. 125% looks fine.

I find it interesting that as users of this site evaluate different software packages,

it appears that there will be alot of users sticking with ATX (I already ordered the 2008

version).

Booger

As I've said recently, I really would like to change software companies based on how CCH treated its customers this year. I've been taking a hard look at TRX but I can't get past a couple of aspects. I print in all capital letters so the quick entry of addresses doesn't work for me and the printingis of poor quality in general. I do about 30 corps/partnerships which I don't think will have efile available. Finally, the real deal breaker for me is options and preferences, especially the inability to customize the return mgr.

I am going to wait and evaluate their $699 package and see if offers more options. I also am very interested in what Mel is doing and would certainly give anything he comes up with a solid test. Mel if you're listening perhaps you could offer some options which would include an ability to purchase supplemental programs which would compliment some of the other software companies basic programs. For instance, I would buy atx's most basic program, maybe buy allstates and tell them to stick their books and SUPPORT and email and continuing education and kleinrock (whatever that is).

Finally, if someone is looking to start a new business how about moving to Georgia and put and ad on this board that you would pick any new software and mail it for say; $20 and a postage stamp. Even after the mass exodus this year there's money to be made. I will be your first customer so I can tell CCH and kleinrock (whatever that is) to stick their shipping and handling wherever they stuck their books, support, email, continuing education and kleinrock products!

That is exactly what I needed! Thanks, George.

Does anyone know how to change the default zoom in TRX? What they call 100% comes out much too small for me, even on a 17" monitor. 125% looks fine.

Try it without the forms on the left hand side of the screen, I found out I dont need them.

Where it sasy Tax forms home <<<

click on the <<< it makes the form larger

You can go to the forms by clicking on the + on the field you want on the 1040

As I've said recently, I really would like to change software companies based on how CCH treated its customers this year. I've been taking a hard look at TRX but I can't get past a couple of aspects. I print in all capital letters so the quick entry of addresses doesn't work for me and the printingis of poor quality in general. I do about 30 corps/partnerships which I don't think will have efile available. Finally, the real deal breaker for me is options and preferences, especially the inability to customize the return mgr.

Finally, if someone is looking to start a new business how about moving to Georgia and put and ad on this board that you would pick any new software and mail it for say; $20 and a postage stamp. Even after the mass exodus this year there's money to be made. I will be your first customer so I can tell CCH and kleinrock (whatever that is) to stick their shipping and handling wherever they stuck their books, support, email, continuing education and kleinrock products!

If I'm wrong about this, someone correct me, but I think the $699 program is a reseller's version of TaxWise. If so, aren't you just playing into CCH's hands by purchasing it? They may not get as big a mark-up profit if you buy it thru a reseller, but they still succeeded in converting an ATX user to a TaxWise user, which everyone seems to think is a danger, they've succeeded in keeping you with CCH, and who knows, next year they could terminate their agreement with TRX and force you to buy it from CCH directly if you didn't want to switch again.

If I'm wrong about this, someone correct me, but I think the $699 program is a reseller's version of TaxWise. If so, aren't you just playing into CCH's hands by purchasing it? They may not get as big a mark-up profit if you buy it thru a reseller, but they still succeeded in converting an ATX user to a TaxWise user, which everyone seems to think is a danger, they've succeeded in keeping you with CCH, and who knows, next year they could terminate their agreement with TRX and force you to buy it from CCH directly if you didn't want to switch again.

I am a converted ATX to TRX user looking for a couple more bells and whistles which I may find in TRX-TW. You raise a good question, one which I will ask TRX -how long is their contract with CCH for taxwise? I'm wavering between the TRX-TW and DRake (I used Drake for my corp/partnership returns this season, and TRX for personal). I've ordered a demo of TRX-TW to run through its paces. I already have Drake. My only peeve with Drake is the data entry - I find it tough to get used to, but the program sure does run fast since it's not generating screen images all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes:

I am a new user of TRX Orr and am having some trouble with entering 6252 data to flow to Sch D correctly. Interest is no problem because I enter it manually on Sch B. I have both short term and long term capital gains one each on two 6252's. Do these have to be entered on Sch D manually. I can't get them to flow to Sch D.

The same is true for dependent care credit Form 2441. Does this credit have to entered manually on 1040 line 47?

Thanks for your assistance. I am inputting some of my returns to get use to the program.

The same is true for dependent care credit Form 2441. Does this credit have to entered manually on 1040 line 47?

The credit from the 2441 should roll over automatically. Expense per kid is entered originally on the dependent worksheet and flows to the 2441. The care provider info and total paid is entered on the care provider worksheet and flows to the 2441. Do your 2441 line 9 and line 13 both show the correct credit?

I have both short term and long term capital gains one each on two 6252's. Do these have to be entered on Sch D manually. I can't get them to flow to Sch D.

Make sure you're checking one of the boxes on the top of the 6252. If you're carrying to Sch. D you probably need to check "Check if Personal Asset". It then carries over to the D as either long term or short term based on the dates entered on the 6252.

:mellow: Thanks David. You're right. When I checked the info at the top of the form it worked beautifully. I looked forever because I assumed that question would be in the form itself. Oh the learning curve of a new software. That was one of my biggest fears in changing over.

But thanks to people like you the process become easier. Thanks again.