ATX Community

TRX

Terry O

Ok - -sooooooooooo I have had a few issues with ATX - - mostly in the excessive number of updates - -and how late they were in the season - - -

Along with the issue of spending $$$$ and not being able to get through to find out why I could not efile any business return or returns that included K-1's - - -nor any response from them

So, I heard about this TRX - -downloaded it - -and within hours - -got a call from them - - -

"did I install it/have any troubles/have any questions/am I going to buy it?" Within HOURS!!!!

So, I finally installed it today - -played around with a return or 2 - - - I'm thinking - - - -why is this so reasonable??? Appears to be quite capable!!!

Since I only do about 150 returns this eyar - -might be the way to go - - has anyone used them for the WHOLE season?

Thanks!

Terry O

Terry, I'm trying the program out right now as well. The minor things I don't like are the forms list size which makes it hard to move from form to form and the inability to move from from to return mgr and back quickly. I do 400+ returns a year with 20 corps and partnerships and I am serious considering making the change. I will be talking to a rep today. One big difference is I've learned (as most of us have) not to use supprt since it is virtually non existent. I just come to this board and see who else is having the same problem with ATX and see what the solutions are. We will now have to rely on the software's support department. Here's hoping CCh doesn't buy them up and ruin another effective software company.

I've seen a lot of posts and questions being asked and thought I would also inquire. Does the software come with state tax forms such as Franchise, sales tax, mixed beverage reports other than the state income tax forms? I'm also thinking about switching from ATX to save $$$. I've been using ATX for the last six years and theyr have just about priced me out. I had to pay $230 up front to efile unlimited returns this time around instead of getting free with the package as in prior years.

Does TRX also come with 941' 940's W-2, 1099?

Apparently not....but I think you can get a separate program just for those, like the ones from Medlin or CFS, without spending anywhere near the difference as that between TRX and ATX.

Not advocating anything, still evaluating TRX.

I've seen a lot of posts and questions being asked and thought I would also inquire. Does the software come with state tax forms such as Franchise, sales tax, mixed beverage reports other than the state income tax forms? I'm also thinking about switching from ATX to save $$. I've been using ATX for the last six years and theyr have just about priced me out. I had to pay $230 up front to efile unlimited returns this time around instead of getting free with the package as in prior years.

Does TRX also come with 941' 940's W-2, 1099?

Apparently not....but I think you can get a separate program just for those, like the ones from Medlin or CFS, without spending anywhere near the difference as that between TRX and ATX.

Not advocating anything, still evaluating TRX.

TRX has a payroll program it has offered during tax season to those signed up with them as a sample. I do not know what is entailed in it, since I do not use payroll anymore. This is available in the website for subscribers. It would probably meet the needs you may have.

I have used TRX for the entire season, and found it to be to my liking. The form application is similar to ATX and I did not experience any of the problems with them, efile or other issues, that were posted on this board as ATX. There are some items which I specifically like (ie. you enter the zip code and it automatically enters the city, county, and state).

I just had a call from ATX asking why I did not renew with them this year. After explaining my reasons and the price difference, he said ATX could not match my TRX package for the same price.

The part that impressed me about TRX this year was that they had an increase of 350% of customers (I do not know what this amounts to in numbers) over past years, but it did not effect its customer service or efiling.

Is there a community forum for them as there is for ATX???

I have learned SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much from this community - -I don't want to leave - - but I am assuming there are subtle differences in the actual program proceedures that I could definitely benefit from a forum.

Is there a community forum for them as there is for ATX???

I have learned SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much from this community - -I don't want to leave - - but I am assuming there are subtle differences in the actual program proceedures that I could definitely benefit from a forum.

They don't have a forum, it looks like they're trying out a new concept called support! I'm pretty sure I'll be making the move but I can see there will be some things missing and I don't want to drop ATX until I'm sure it won't disrupt my practice. There is no guarantee that they will be able to efile business returns so I will need a backup plan for that. Anyone know how I can get 30 to 40 1120's/1065's efiled elsewhere? Secondly, I'll be going back to Quickfinder for taxplanning books. Finally, I am not sure I will like their format as well. They don't have as many options and preferences as ATX.

I don't use this forum a lot anymore but I still find it invaluable. If someone would repeat the info on contributing to defray some of the costs of keeping this board alive I would love to send a check.

I have used ATX for 5 years after switching from Microvision Tax Relief that was purchased by Ultratax. At first I found ATX to be adequate however each year thereafter they seemed to add features and enhance the product. That being said, once they sold to CCH we all know the drill.

I reviewed TRX software this week and conclude at this time that it offers quite a lot for the money however in my opinion it is a far cry from ATX.

I spoke to tax support twice who are represented to be CPA's and found that their expertise left me wanting. The software from a user friendly prospective is poor. There is no print preview and printing in itself is cumbersome, and to create a PDF file takes quite a number of key strokes.

While I was processing my second return, I lost my entire schedule a data. When I asked tax support why, he responded that I probably deleted it!

There are no interfaces with Excel and no apparent method of notating information that will carry forward each year.

They claim to have free online training however you need to purchase the software to preview.

There is no mortgage point’s amortization calculator and due to not having spreadsheet capability I would need to maintain a separate spreadsheet file for each incident. Needless to say I would need to remember another work around. By the way when I inquired with tax support about this feature they responded that you can write off these points in the first year, enough said about their expertise!

I personally would only consider this software should ATX abandon us once again.

Good luck to all

Mike Dubin CPA

That was excellent feedback! I have been following these comments to aid in my decision. I think your observations have finalized it. I have also been wondering about the Ohio local returns which I have to prepare for many of my clients. I've never seen those mentioned.

Thanks again for taking the time to check it out and sharing your experience. ATX does have issues but it has been my software since 1997. I know it pretty well by now, including the areas that need a second look. It would be painful to have to learn those with another software unnecessarily. Like you, I think I will stick with ATX until abandoned. Then I just might retire and only teach SCUBA!

I had no trouble finding the mortgage points amortization worksheet in the TRX demo I have. It required hitting the + symbol alongside the Sch A entry.

<clipped>

There is no mortgage point's amortization calculator and due to not having spreadsheet capability I would need to maintain a separate spreadsheet file for each incident. Needless to say I would need to remember another work around. By the way when I inquired with tax support about this feature they responded that you can write off these points in the first year, enough said about their expertise!

I personally would only consider this software should ATX abandon us once again.

Good luck to all

Mike Dubin CPA

Does anyone know whether the "intellinotes" notes or the descriptions in detailed list entries carry forward to the next year?

There are no interfaces with Excel and no apparent method of notating information that will carry forward each year.

Good luck to all

Mike Dubin CPA

OK - here's some news about TRX. I just called them regarding the postcard I received touting the Pro program for $699. The rep said it's brand new and they are working with TAXWISE on it. If you go into the website and the list of business forms, it brings up Taxwise website. The pro website is trx1040.com

I also asked her why they are not listed on the MA website as an approved vendor and she insisted they had many MA returns e-filed. When I asked her if they went by a different name, and was concerned why they were not listed...she got huffy and said if I was going to take that attitude they didn't WANT me as a member! And hung up on me!

Don't think I want to rely on them. Anyone hear anything about the hook-up with Taxwise? I had asked her if that meant they were involved with CCH she said she had never heard of CCH.

Stranger and stranger....

Wendy F. Katz EA

Interesting...just looked at the site...the difference between the two seems to be in the 706/709/990/5500. ATX and Taxwise are also missing from the 2008 conversions. I'm wondering what, exactly, they're trying to do here.

One thing is certain: they need to train their sales staff better. Between your experience and Mike's, it seems like they're trying to run off potential customers.

One note: Intellitax/Orrtax is listed as a Calif-approved software provider, but TRX is not.

OK - here's some news about TRX. I just called them regarding the postcard I received touting the Pro program for $699. The rep said it's brand new and they are working with TAXWISE on it. If you go into the website and the list of business forms, it brings up Taxwise website. The pro website is trx1040.com

I also asked her why they are not listed on the MA website as an approved vendor and she insisted they had many MA returns e-filed. When I asked her if they went by a different name, and was concerned why they were not listed...she got huffy and said if I was going to take that attitude they didn't WANT me as a member! And hung up on me!

Don't think I want to rely on them. Anyone hear anything about the hook-up with Taxwise? I had asked her if that meant they were involved with CCH she said she had never heard of CCH.

Stranger and stranger....

Wendy F. Katz EA

I had attempted to click on the plus sign on all schedules. Mortgage points in TRX cannot be amortized, merely entered! Thus my comment.

Mike Dubin CPA

First I would like to admit my tax knowledge is limited, however I called in talked to their support about your claim. This is what they told me, I only do very simple returns so I wouldn't know how to do this myself. I love the software especially for its price, but anyway I talked to Stephen in Tax support, this is what he said:

Go to Schedula A

Go to Line 12

Dig down to the worksheet for this worksheet using the "+" (green circle white plus sign).

It will populate a "Point Ammortization Worksheet"

Enter the information within here and it should calculate.

Hope that helped.

I had attempted to click on the plus sign on all schedules. Mortgage points in TRX cannot be amortized, merely entered! Thus my comment.

It's there. Start at Schedule A, line 10. Click on the "+" to get the Interest Paid worksheet. Go to line 9 - Points Amortized. Click on the "+" It asks you for the name of the lending institution and opens the worksheet shown here

Okay, I'll go through what I did, step by step, and you can tell me if I found something different from what you found.

(I'm not arguing for TRX, which I am still evaluating, but I did use your comments to test the program.)

From Sch A:

1. Clicked plus on line 12 of Sch A. This takes you to a line on the Interest Paid Worksheet where the amortized points can be entered. I did not use it. From there:

2. Clicked plus on line 9 of the Interest Paid Worksheet. This opens a small window labeled Points Amortization Worksheet (Sch A). Select "New"

3. Input the name of the lending institution, then "OK" This opens the Points Amortization Worksheet. Line 1: Name of lender. Line 2: Amount of points paid. Line 3: Date of first mortgage Payment. Line 4: Length of mortgage in years. Line 5: Amortization deducted in prior years. Line 6: (auto calc): Current-year amortization. Line 7 (checkbox): Check if the mortgage associated with the points was paid in full this year.

Does it look like this on your version? If we actually have different versions of the program, then I'm really confused.

Mike Dubin CPA

I find it interesting that as users of this site evaluate different software packages,

it appears that there will be alot of users sticking with ATX (I already ordered the 2008

version).

Booger

Well Booger you may be happy with ATX but a lot of us are not. I hope this board keeps going and is used by preparers that use ATX, TRX, Drake and any other programs out there. It will still help all with questions about tax matters that anyone may have.

Having different forums for each specific tax package will be an asset for this board. Remember it is not being run by CCH, and is for all interested parties.

My way of thinking there should be a seperate forum stictly for questions regarding the ATX package and hte chit chat should be for general tax questions and conversation.

Just my 2 cents worth, thanks for listing