ATX Community

Drake Evaluation

JohnH

I went to Drake's website and ran a few of their selected webinars (not the whole setup because it looks like it would take too long). I liked what I saw, so I registered online for the evaluation version, which arrived a couple of days later. I haven't installed it yet, but will do so in the next few days and will run a few extension returns with it to get some real-life experience.

One thing I notice in their literature is that Drake claims that the attachment to forms-based software slows down data entry. I like the ATX forms-based approach with the bunny hops, so this claim by Drake surprised me. I don't quite get how using the data sheet approach will speed things up, but would be interested in hearing if anyone else agrees with that comment and why. (Maybe it will become obvious when working in the software)

I agree that a forms based approach is slower. for one thing the graphics slow down the screen refresh.

Hard to beat a text based heads down approach for speed.

While this may be true, in the real world, is it really a problem. While I can visually see a difference, in the course of a day and ever how many returns that is, are we talking more that 1 minute elapsed time?

Drake is batting -1,000 in Customer Service with me just to answer a question. They said they would find out the answer and get back to me. I'm guessing the answer is "NO, the only way to efile payroll form is thru the write up program". That was a week ago.

Strike One.

TRX is not getting an A+ either. Still waiting on the evaluation CD from a week ago when their site had problems and I couldn't download.

Strike Two.

At least if I stay with ATX, I don't have to learn a new software.

I find it equally interesting that people would choose to leave themselves with no viable options or put themselves in a position of having to make a hasty decision if something blows up on them. Especially when they are dealing with a company that sends the mixed signals we have been getting over the past year and a half. To each his own.

I find it equally interesting that people would choose to leave themselves with no viable options or put themselves in a position of having to make a hasty decision if something blows up on them. Especially when they are dealing with a company that sends the mixed signals we have been getting over the past year and a half. To each his own.

Amen!

Well said! If I have to learn a new program I would rather do it now when I still have a few returns left to finish under no deadline stress, than to wait until December only to find that the program I was expecting has been changed significantly.

Keep in mind that they promise us ATX but what if they substitue their other program and just name it ATX? Really what's in a name?

Just my two cents worth!

Deb

One potential advantage with speed that a worksheet based product has is that they can choose where to put whatever they want on the worksheets. So they can put things in more a more efficient layout than the IRS forms have.

The disadvantage is that you have to find out where the item is on the worksheet. For the most part I think that will end up being a temporary problem as you learn the programs specific worksheets and where they tend to put everything.

I'm thinking of trying Drake myself.

I received the Drake Demo for 2007. Installed it.

#1 -- Demo for Client Write up is worthless -- you can't even set up a NEW CLIENT or see how it works to set up a client (even though I was assured that all I needed to do for 941/940's was to set up a client and fill in the form).

#2 -- Did NOT like the tax input at all. I like to "view" each Form after I input the data. There is too much flip-flopping around to view the entire tax return (ie close 1040, open Sch A, close Sch A, open Sch C, etc).

N/M on the removal -- I just deleted it. Now to do a registery clean to make sure it's gone.

I have used both Drake and ATX in 2 separate offices for a number of years now. I like Drake for being easy for an inexperienced preparer to learn and use, but I sometmes have problems with input on the higher level returns. There are many Drake features that I love, such as auto-fill upon entering zip codes of FEINs on w-2 and 1099 input screns. It also handles multi-state returns as well as any other program that I have used. Their customer service people are great, even though I usually call only once or twice a year. I have called ATX only once in the last 2 years.

That being said, I do find that I bring a copy of the ATX program to the other office to help with returns that I have trouble getting right on Drake, but I have never felt the need to instal Drake at my private office. There are a large number of forms on ATX that Drake doesn't have in its package such as 1099, W-2, and a large number of state and local forms.

While MAX and the Drake programs are about the same money, I do feel that the ATX program is a better value for the money. I also think that ATX is better suited for us more experienced (ie: Old F**ts) practitioners. I might also mention that Drake issues about as many updates as ATX. I think that this occurs no matter what product you use. I'll probably stay with Max unless CCH starts pulling any tricks later.

• 7 months later...

I've been using ProSystem F/X and ATX long before they went under the same umbrella and found almost every year I ended up happy I had a backup package. I've not been following the "where is CCH going with ATX, blah, blah" while knowing CCH has at least now 3 competing packages. That said, CCH Canada has 2 competing Canadian tax package and they've supported both for something like a decade. Not sure why or if the market really is large enough to really economically support both within one company.

Last year drove me nuts with ATX both from a service point and software point, more so than the year before. I've stayed with them for this year based on promises but, it may need a review and I'll monitor closely as if things do not look better very early on, I'll simply convert the ATX files over to ProSystems and do away with the frustration. The PRS pricing for Prosystems and initial costs is very reasonable, more so than just a couple of year ago when you had to be a good sized form to think about the software. I charge through a fee for using either software to the client to recoup my costs so in the end the cost is usually about the amount of the ProSystem license fee and almost nothing for the MAX. Not a big difference.

I did a quick look at Drake as I've received a lot of e-mails from them and noticed you can upload a spreadsheet of shares transactions into Sched D. I have to do a lot of spreadsheet work related to this as my clients have Canadian dollar investment accounts as well as US dollar accounts and I have to convert both the purchase and proceeds using spot rates them retype everything into the US return and again into the Canadian return. I'll exlore what Drake has just because it can possibly reduce a lot of time just for this one schedule it can work.