ATX Community

Darn Stimulus Payment

lydia33

I am about to go crazy after being back in the office from tax season with calls about that Stimulus Payment, thanks to the news this morning. I no longer than have hung up from one client that somebody else is calling. Most are the ones that I did early in the tax season. THANK YOU CONGRESS! I am going to put a message on my answering machine that says "If you are calling about the @#@@ Stimulus Payment please go to irs.gov." No not really I would not do that, but I sure would like to. By the way the beach was fabulous. Did not get to finish my book......thanks to a talkative friend that did not understanding........I am reading........Hope everyone of you guys have survived.

Subject: Stimulus Rebate Payments

"Dear (insert client name here),

The Congress passed the legislation, and the IRS is administering the program. I only have the information that the IRS puts out at www.irs.gov. There have been many news reports concerning these payments, and I make no assertions as to the accuracy of what is reported in the news.

Also, I cannot change in any way the process (right or wrong) of the IRS in distributing the Stimulus Payments. My advice is: Wait till the IRS contacts you, and do NOT spend the money till it is in your hands or your checking account. By the way, the IRS phone number is 800-829-1040. Please do not call my office with questions concerning the rebate."

Thank You for understanding.

I sent an e-mail to all my internet savvy clients with these words.

>>Please do not call my office<<

Suppose they passed a new tax law that generated a lot of interest for every one of your clients, and they were eager for your advice. And suppose it was a very simple thing that required nothing on the client's part, so your advice couldn't possibly go wrong. And suppose that even if something COULD go wrong, you could easily correct it in the normal processing of the 2008 return.

And suppose you had somewhere read that contacting and helping clients in the off-season helps to build up your practice.

I also tried to head it off by taking a few minutes when my clients came to pick up their returns to explain to them what would be taking place, including how they personally would be receiving the payment (electronically or paper).

Inspite of this I too receive at least one or two calls a day asking the same questions that I had already explained!

The real solice of this however came from one of my clients this morning, who after I explained it to her stated, see that's why I love having you do our taxes!

It made my day!

Deb!

I mostly followed what Deb just stated - explained the situation on to the clients by phone or email as I sent their returns back to them. I did have one phone call today and a couple of emails about it - both from people who had extensions.

But the most interesting thing happened first thing this morning on my way into the office. I stopped by my mechanic's shop to ask a question about my car and the owner's wife (who is also a client) asked about the news coming out over the weekend. I told her I didn't know much more than what I had heard, but I assumed the direct deposits were going out a little faster than expected but the paper checks would probably follow the original schedule. One of the mechanics was standing off to the side and he corrected me by saying that the paper checks were scheduled to start May 9 rather than May 16.

Now the two things I don't argue with mechanics about are auto repair matters and tax matters, so I just allowed the comment to slide off my back and left with my smug attitude. When I got to the office I learned he was right. So now I have to issue a blanket apology to every mechanic I've ever poked fun at concerning tax advice (although I'm still not taking back all the stuff I say about tax advice from hairstylists). I'm a little embarrassed about my smugness, but the good side of all this is that I now have a new reliable source of tax information when my research isn't satisfactory - I'm going to seek out that particular mechanic in the future to confirm my opinions.

The real solice of this however came from one of my clients this morning, who after I explained it to her stated, see that's why I love having you do our taxes!

It made my day!

It was so funny today, a client called to say he already got his stimulus check. He did not e-file, he mailed his return with a check, probably first of March. So no direct deposit. He got the paper check already. He thanked me. I said, "You're welcome." I have been grinning stupidly over it all day.

It was so funny today, a client called to say he already got his stimulus check. He did not e-file, he mailed his return with a check, probably first of March. So no direct deposit. He got the paper check already. He thanked me. I said, "You're welcome." I have been grinning stupidly over it all day.

Just wait till he gets his NEXT stimulus check!!

z

Rita:

I know why he got the stimulus payment early.

You entered the "PSE" notation on the bottom of page 2 in green ink.

That's the secret "Pay Stimulus Early" code that only a few people knew about.

Obviously you got the word...

Yes, I researched quite a bit to find that code.

Now if I could just get my own return done...