ATX Community

Old ATX programs - How far they have come

BulldogTom

I am working on returns for my non-filing client and had to go back to 2001 and 2002 to prepare returns. First, I had to go to one of my old computers at my house because I did not load those years on my new computers at the office and the archive disks are kept off-site. Then I open the return and the look and feel of the software seems so clunky. Like a spreadsheet I could make. The W2 entry is on those horrible input screens with verticle columns and the EIN number is at the bottom with all that other e-file information. The tax due does not update until you hit save. If you don't roll over a return, you get to re-enter all your preparer information.

There was one feature that I liked and don't know why it is gone, but they used to have in the upper right hand corner two amounts: tax on return and amount due/refund.

The difference between ATX 2001 and ATX 2007 is incredible. What a long way we have come together. Too bad CCH is screwing it all up.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Actually, I often use those "horrible" vertical input columns for W2 entry. Habit or preference, I am not sure. In all cases, I agree with all of you as to the improvement of the quality over the years. I now have 9 years on my hard drive. And, yes, the price increase has not been out of line with the added quality. However, some of us small home office sole preparers have to say "enough already". How much more can our small market bear? (And, I always did like that roar of the tiger on startup.)

I think you would be surprised at how much your market would bear, Marilyn. And I bet if you look at your fees for 10 years ago, and compare them to now, you will find that they have not increased as much as inflation. At least, that is the fact for a lot of us.

You should never feel bad to about passing along your legitimate costs. The truth is, tax code has gotten so complex, that the service we provide is, IMHO, more valuable than ever.

Actually, I often use those "horrible" vertical input columns for W2 entry. Habit or preference, I am not sure. In all cases, I agree with all of you as to the improvement of the quality over the years. I now have 9 years on my hard drive. And, yes, the price increase has not been out of line with the added quality. However, some of us small home office sole preparers have to say "enough already". How much more can our small market bear? (And, I always did like that roar of the tiger on startup.)

Every year you should increase your billing on returns at least 5%, whether you need it or not. Never had a client complain about that small of an increase.

Then the increase for the software is payed by the first few returns you prepare

Interesting you should mention that. I increased my fees 20% this year (even put that info in the client mailer) and only lost a few clients - much less than I expected. Plus I picked up some new clients, and for them the increase wasn't a factor since they came on board at the new rates so an increase wasn't an issue for them.

I did this partly because I was getting tired of some of them, and secondly because I'm anticipating having to switch vendors in the next year or so and wanted to position myself to go back to UltraTax or another product on that end of the cost scale (or perhaps dual products) if necessary.

I've come to the conclusion that either my clients are very loyal or else I'm not charging nearly enough. Given my experience this year, I may tack on another 15-20% next tax season just to see if it has any more effect.

I think you would be surprised at how much your market would bear, Marilyn. And I bet if you look at your fees for 10 years ago, and compare them to now, you will find that they have not increased as much as inflation. At least, that is the fact for a lot of us.

You should never feel bad to about passing along your legitimate costs. The truth is, tax code has gotten so complex, that the service we provide is, IMHO, more valuable than ever.

You are probably right KC; on all counts. Perhaps it is just getting old (along with me). I did increase rates pretty much across the board this year. Like John, some were with the hopes of getting rid of certain clients. I had a few that had to come in and pick up their unfinished work because they were not willing to pay until they got their refunds. DUH! I found collections to be a big deal this year. I did consider not continuing for 2008 at all until ATX announced the renewal and a lot of my faithful encouraged me. Now, the economic stimulus calls are "off the wall"! I am pleased with the Income that I generated this year; but I also know that I earned every penny of it and will either have to cut back; turn down or get some help.

A suggestion about the economic stimulus calls. I've had a few, and as I said before I always offer to email them the link to the "Where's My Stimulus Payment" page so they can do their own follow-up.

https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof/IRServlet?app=IRACTC

However, for those who don't use email, who are easily confused, or those for whom for whatever reason I decide to follow up personally, I've found it's pretty easy to do a quick check. All that's needed is the primary SocSec#, filig status, and # of dependents. With dual monitors it's not even necessary to pull out their hard copy file since the IRS link can be open on one screen and the return open on the opposite screen. Even the link says that this is the same info available to IRS employees if the client calls them.

Also, for any that I look up & discover the payment date & amount, I print off the page for insertion into their tax file for reference next year. I had originally speculated that I'd charge for doing this next year if it occupied much time or effort, but in actuality I'm finding it's no big deal to check it. In a few situations I've checked on it while the client & I were discussing a totally unrelated matter on the phone.