ATX Community

Interesting thoughts on the Unemployment news

kcjenkins

>>Wal-Mart in Germany manages to pay their workers a decent wage, and all of the health, vacation & other benefits required by their government, and still remain profitable enough to want to open stores there.<<

No, Joan. Wal-Mart FAILED in Germany and left the country years ago. Wal-Mart's most successful foreign markets are not where they had to compete to build a customer base, but where they simply BOUGHT out an existing company.

>>it makes sense for the town, because not everyone can afford to pay extra just to protect a few businesses that don't want competition<<

The problem, kc, is not that the town can't support the local businesses they have nurtured for generations. The problem is that earnings are depressed. Big corporations take profits out of the town so the money no longer has any multiplier effect there as it did when the small firms dominated the economy.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joel's now the Judge. He needs no cite. I guess he intends to hang us all. Now just where did I put my whiskey money???

Thinking maybe Zeke should be appointed my Hangman. After each hangin we can go in the bar have a few drinks and celebrate that there hangin.

Thinking maybe Zeke should be appointed my Hangman. After each hangin we can go in the bar have a few drinks and celebrate that there hangin.

I accept & appoint y'all deputies. Should we start with the revenooers?? :D

It's too bad we can't have Bush for 6 or 8 more terms! It would take him that long to reach the employment levels that Clinton achieved in the late 90s. How come employment went up over 200,000 jobs each and every month he was in office even when he raised the minimum wage.

Hmm thinking you were appointed and accepted the Hangman's job not Sheriff or Marshall and they are the ones hiring and appointing deputies!

As my friend Clint would say - There are two kinds of people. Those with the noose and those that get hung. Why do you think I was so quick to take the job?? I am the ultimate appellate court! :rolleyes:

As my friend Clint would say - There are two kinds of people. Those with the noose and those that get hung. Why do you think I was so quick to take the job?? I am the ultimate appellate court! :rolleyes:

Never fear the want of business. A man who qualifies himself well for his calling, never fails of employment (Thomas Jefferson)

You are the perfect Hangman!

doesn't rhyme quite as well but:

There's no need to fear! The Hangman is here!

when criminals in this world appear

and break the laws that they should fear

and frighten all who see or hear

the cry goes up both far and near

for The Hangman! The Hangman! The Hangman! The Hangman!

speed of lightning, roar of thunder

Hanging all who rob or plunder

The Hangman. The Hangman!

when in this world the headlines read

of those whose hearts are filled with greed

who rob and steal from those who need

to right this wrong with blinding speed

goes The Hangman! The Hangman! The Hangman! The Hangman!

There, now you even have a catchy theme song!

Think of the indignity your poem is going to suffer when the PC thought police get hold of you and force you to change the words to "Hangperson".

Song not poem (sung to the tune of Underdog's theme song music)

And thinking Zeke is male and therefore Hangman is NOT SEXIST! lol

Now if I had appointed one of the women here to that position, then I would have to change the song. Might not rhyme at all then. But since Zeke accepted the position, I don't think that will be a problem.

>>Show me the document that establishes the rights to anything except the PURSUIT of happiness<<

You got me there, Jack. Previously you just asked what the source of the idea was. The Declaration of Independence certainly doesn't establish any rights--it says they are endowed by the Creator. Of course in America you don't have to accept such a concept, but anyway that's where the idea came from. I was on about the right to life, though as you point out some other topics are in there too. In more legal terms, the U.S. Constitution is the document that establishes those rights.

>>"That all men are equally free and independent...."<<

You got me again, Jack. I don't remember that line at all.

doesn't rhyme quite as well but:

when in this world the headlines read

of those whose hearts are filled with greed

who rob and steal from those who need

to right this wrong with blinding speed

goes The Hangman! The Hangman! The Hangman! The Hangman!

There, now you even have a catchy theme song!

Reminds me of an old Led Zeppelin song: Hangman! Hangman! Meet me at the gallows pole.