ATX Community

Postage Scale info needed

Denne

I have not been able to get a response from JQ International regarding the purchase of a new chip that will change the postage rates on my postage scale. Does anyone know if they have gone out of business? If so..... What postage scale are you using or what would you recommend for my small office??? Thanks for your help ;~)

I'd stick a post-it over it with the new rates for the range of ounces you encounter (with another column for large envelopes) -- I'm sure your scale will read in ounces. I have a nice digital scale from 1991 when postage was .29 for the first ounce. Over the years when postage changed I whipped out a new post-it.

I have not been able to get a response from JQ International regarding the purchase of a new chip that will change the postage rates on my postage scale. Does anyone know if they have gone out of business? If so..... What postage scale are you using or what would you recommend for my small office??? Thanks for your help ;~)

There's a desktop utility called "desktop dozen" (did someone here or on another forum recommend it to me?). It has all the postage rates. Use the scale for weight, and the utility for postage.

Also, Dymo has a new labeller package that comes with the label printer, a digital scale, and an online postage purchasing account. Not cheap, but it's a permanent solution. I have a label printer that I use constantly; it's a real convenience and a real workhorse.

Catherine

I use Encidia, at $9.95 per month plus postage. Free delivery confirmations on priority or packages, and can print stamps as well as postage.

Prints with the Dymo (which I do not have) or your regular printer! Can be used to print labels without postage. Pulls data from Outlook. Verifies addresses and adds 9 digit zip codes.

and you can use a USB scale to weigh and have it calculate your postage. Rates are always current as they are updated online.

USB Postage Scales can be purchased at around $70.00 (brand new at Amazon) or on ebay even less.

I understand the Dymo package is around $250 and includes a special printer and scale, but you have no monthly account fees. Some features differ.

I'm using Endicia with a simple digital postage scale that I bought for use with ClickStampOnline. (which, by the way, was better and cheaper than Endicia...perhaps that's why PitneyBowes discontinued it.)

But I also use Desktop Dozen for general calculation, postage and otherwise. Sometimes you gotta use stamps.

We are using a Dymo Turbo Twin and purchasing the blank stamps from them, also has a very useful label printer.

No charge for getting postage throug them.

Works great..

I'm using Endicia with a simple digital postage scale that I bought for use with ClickStampOnline. (which, by the way, was better and cheaper than Endicia...perhaps that's why PitneyBowes discontinued it.)

But I also use Desktop Dozen for general calculation, postage and otherwise. Sometimes you gotta use stamps.

I agree that ClickStampOnline was the better of the choices and was very disappointed when PB discontinued it and got me to move to their more expensive and IMHO less capable program Shipstream. Further Shipstream would not even run on my new computer, yet its interface is identical to Endicia.

Although I liked ClickStampOnline, Endicia does have some features ClickStampOnline did not though, such as printing actual stamps.

Now what is "Desktop Dozen"?

I agree that ClickStampOnline was the better of the choices and was very disappointed when PB discontinued it and got me to move to their more expensive and IMHO less capable program Shipstream. Further Shipstream would not even run on my new computer, yet its interface is identical to Endicia.

Although I liked ClickStampOnline, Endicia does have some features ClickStampOnline did not though, such as printing actual stamps.

Now what is "Desktop Dozen"?

Desktop Dozen is a set of 12 desktop utilities. There is a postage calculator, a printing calculator (like a paper tape, only on-screen), zip code finder, area code finder, multi-year calendar, a date calculator (good for "client was in US from date X to date Y - do they get NR Alien status?"), and a bunch of others. Cost was like $20 or something. They run quick and took hardly any disk space. http://www.spudcity.com/d12/desktop_dozen.htm is where to look.

Catherine

eBay has some fantastic deals on postage scales, by the way. I bought a digital postage scale that weighs packages from one ounce to 35 pounds, has lots of great features, and I paid only .96 plus 15.87 shipping. That is a total of $16.83 for a scale that has a Lifetime Warranty on it. Max Weight Capacity 35 lbs, Sensitivity 0.1 oz, Easy Buttons: On / Tare, Off: Hold Feature [so if the box is too big to read the scale, you hit hold, then remove the box and read the weight.] a large LCD Display, a Fold-up Stand to Weigh Oversize Envelopes and Tubes, Auto Off Feature to Save Battery Life, an A/C Adapter and One 9-Volt Battery Included.

Actually, I thought this was such a great deal I bought a second one for my son's other office, at the same price.

eBay has some fantastic deals on postage scales, by the way. I bought a digital postage scale that weighs packages from one ounce to 35 pounds, has lots of great features, and I paid only .96 plus 15.87 shipping. That is a total of $16.83 for a scale that has a Lifetime Warranty on it. Max Weight Capacity 35 lbs, Sensitivity 0.1 oz, Easy Buttons: On / Tare, Off: Hold Feature [so if the box is too big to read the scale, you hit hold, then remove the box and read the weight.] a large LCD Display, a Fold-up Stand to Weigh Oversize Envelopes and Tubes, Auto Off Feature to Save Battery Life, an A/C Adapter and One 9-Volt Battery Included.

Actually, I thought this was such a great deal I bought a second one for my son's other office, at the same price.

Think I saw that scale online. Looks like it is a basic postage scale without a USB interface, but a great price! Am I correct?

Great Deal, but decided to pass on that one and get one with a USB interface which has you directly weigh inside the Online Postal Service (Endicia in my case). Bit more money ($45.00 total with shipping) but was worth the extra money for the features.

That is correct. But for low volume mailers like us, we can weigh it then print the postage from the computer. While it would be nice to have them tied together, I do have one of those already for letters. It only works up to I think 5 lbs, though, and now and then I need to weigh packages as well. This price makes it perfect for me, for those things that are too heavy for my connected scale.

I do have a question about Desktop-Dozen. If you purchase the program and then the rates change again, do you have to puchase the program again or can the rates be updated? If they can be updated then what is the cost to do that? Thanks for all of your great ideas!!!!

That is correct. But for low volume mailers like us, we can weigh it then print the postage from the computer. While it would be nice to have them tied together, I do have one of those already for letters. It only works up to I think 5 lbs, though, and now and then I need to weigh packages as well. This price makes it perfect for me, for those things that are too heavy for my connected scale.

When I had Pitney Bowes Shipstream, the successor to ClickStampOnline, their fee included a 10 lb scale. Apparently it was a rental and now they want it back. Using it with Endicia until my new scale arrives. Since I had to buy one anyway, I opted for a 50 LB USB scale accurate to .01 oz.

My wife used to sell books on Amazon, Half and ebay and then when the weight was over 10 lb, we had to weigh in batches. Just want one now that will handle the large as well as the main mail.

Otherwise, that 96 cent deal would be of much more interest to me. Hard to believe they can sell those scales so cheap.

Hey on a slightly diff note, has anyone opened one of these new scales up? Interesting that there is no spring mechanism in them, but solid thick metal pieces with electronics (probably magnetic) that sense even the slightest weight. Pretty amazing and simple technology if you ask me.

You generally don't have to pay full price again. Whether you have to pay anything depends on how recently you bought the program. I think I had to pay $10 last time, but I think I've only had to pay twice for updates, and I've had the program since 2000 or 2001.

You do, however, have to download the entire program again, not just the postage update.

:blink:

I do have a question about Desktop-Dozen. If you purchase the program and then the rates change again, do you have to puchase the program again or can the rates be updated? If they can be updated then what is the cost to do that? Thanks for all of your great ideas!!!!

The rates get updated, I believe.

Catherine