ATX Community

NT - Firefox 3.0 has been released

Eric

If there are any Firefox fans around, you might want to check out the latest version.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/down...&lang=en-US

You'll have to be patient though, they're trying to get into the Guinness Book of World Records for the most software ever downloaded in 24 hours, so the servers are a bit sluggish.

I've been using Firefox 3 since it was still in Beta, and I'm quite happy with it. On the surface, the changes seem small, but performance has been greatly increased.

I'm using version 2.??? and will get the upgrade soon, and also be pleased with it, I'm sure. But I never try to be first in these things.

Catherine

Since I posted the above, I downloaded and installed Firefox 3.0. The file size is about HALF the size of version 2 (a whopping 7 MB), so they have obviously streamlined and tightened the code substantially. They've also instituted some security upgrades (although even the old version was light years beyond Internet Exploder). The new version works the same _way_ as the old one (with some nice upgraded features) and has a slightly different "look" - just enough so see it's different from the old version.

So anyone who's thinking about it -- I'd say to go for it.

Separate question -- how does Thunderbird email compare to Eudora email? Anyone have a comparison?

Catherine

I switched from Eudora to Thunderbird when AT&T stopped accepting Eudora's security protocols.

In general, I'm not really happy with the change. Thunderbird does not handle the multiple addresses/personalities as smoothly as Eudora. It's much slower, especially with complex filters. Penelope applies some aesthetic changes to Thunderbird to make it look more like Eudora, but it still works like Thunderbird.

Thunderbird does have some improvements in this regard since I've been using it, but it has a way to go.

If AT&T would accept it, I'd be back to Eudora tomorrow.

I, too, would like to read about comparisons between Eudora and Thunderbird. I have been a Eudora user for years and especially like the multiple personalities feature to handle my 3 email accounts. I wasn't aware of other such programs. What I saw online about Thunderbird looks very similar.

It's been about 8 years since I've used Eudora so I can't really make any comparisons, but I do remember hearing that Qualcomm was creating a Eudorafied version of Thunderbird called Penelope.

EDIT: Actually, it's a Thunderbird extension called Penelope. Links:

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Penelope

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4772