ATX Community

Online 7004 service?

jklcpa

I need to file a form 7004 for a short period 2022 final partnership return ending 9/30/22, so extension due date is 12/15/22.  Forms and 2022 software won't be functional before the due date. 

Has anyone here used an online filing service for business extensions that you'd recommend?

I just e-filed a 7004 for a short-year partnership that ended in 2022. ProSystem fx. The Federal e-filed fine with the start and end dates entered. CT wouldn't e-file with both start and end dates in 2022 on 2021 software. I was up against the deadline, so I used 12/31/2021 for the start date and e-filed the CT extension. I may end up regretting that when I prepare the return, if the CT extension doesn't match the return to CT, but both extensions e-filed that way.

12 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

I just e-filed a 7004 for a short-year partnership that ended in 2022. ProSystem fx. The Federal e-filed fine with the start and end dates entered. CT wouldn't e-file with both start and end dates in 2022 on 2021 software. I was up against the deadline, so I used 12/31/2021 for the start date and e-filed the CT extension. I may end up regretting that when I prepare the return, if the CT extension doesn't match the return to CT, but both extensions e-filed that way.

Nope, not what I asked and not the software I use anyway.

I already know that my software won't allow it, confirmed with support also, and the reason I specifically asked for a reputable online site.

I don't personally know about these companies, but a search showed at least three and they only charge $15-$20 per filing, and they are all authorized IRS e-file providers.

https://www.tax2efile.com/efile-7004-form

https://www.expressextension.com/business-tax-extensions/efile-7004/

https://www.taxbandits.com/extensions/file-form-7004-online/

Good luck, and let us know how it went!

51 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

Can't you e-file extensions directly on the IRS and state's sites?. (CT allows you to enter data for a 7004 on its site, free.)

Not for the 7004, and DE has its own form (no efiling,, paper only) but grants automatically based on the fed 7004. I def want the IRS ack on this one too.

• Like 1

Well, I'd already found the 3 online services that Catherine suggested and set up an account with the first one, Tax2Efile.

I tried to fill in the company's data with the first one, and it appears that these providers may have the same limitation as our software, that a tax year filing with a start date in 2022 is not possible yet.

I'm not going to waste any more time on this and will paper-file an extension and copy DE on it also.

• Like 3