ATX Community

Blast from the past

kathyc2

I just got a complaint that we are masking SSN on the employee W2 forms... a financial service provider!

I also got a complaint that I sent back an order, because the charge card was not a valid number.  The complaint was I violated PCI.  PCI only applies to valid cards and their data, and when I don't send the invalid number, inevitably I have to anyway, as the person says they entered it correctly and my system is the problem.

Tech has certainly changed things.  No more Abagnale skills are needed for check fraud, anyone you ever give a check to has all they need to access your account, such as printing their own checks.  Actually had this discussion yesterday, as someone was trying to convince me check by phone was safer than a charge card.

• Like 4

This morning my one year old cell phone for which I have a protective cover and I haven't dropped started rebooting over and over.

Phone support had me pull the sim card plus hold down both the on/off button and the volume button at the same time.

Don't work. 🙄 Sometimes modern technology doesn't work. 

Plus without my phone working, I can't log into my gmail account.

Aaaargh

• Like 3

Personally, I think that too many people, clients included, rely on their phones for all of their information.  I just cringe when they come in with all of their banking info; bookkeeping, etc on their phone.  I rarely read email on my phone, just check it occasionally to get rid of all the junk.  I am a firm believer in PCs with external  hard drive or USB backups.  Just my  old-fashioned thinking.  I would be lost without my phone, but I consider it to be more of a personal friend than a business friend.  I keep it updated with my business information simply because there are so many who do not and will not contact you in any other way.  More of my time is wasted in texting for appointments and/or tax questions; than in any other portion of my business.

• Like 3

I use remote access software so I can be at my computer from any device while my computer remains reasonably safe. Freedom through tech. Computer is not water resistant so phone connection makes it possible to work from hot tub. In my experience, the common flaw is not being prepared and practiced on managing loss of hardware issues (no backup and recover plan in use and tested).

• Like 2

I made the leap a couple of years ago... to an iphone. Apple has enough pull to stop carriers from locking functionality, like allowing dual sims.  it is much easier carrying one device, with two major carrier lines, with auto switching to the strongest signal for actual connection.  Now that we have starlink too, I don't carry a second phone when traveling (to leave connection in the RV to monitor dogs and temp while we visit something).

When getting an iphone from a carrier, it gets unlocked within a few months.  If bought directly from apple, it is unlocked right away. There are android phones which allow dual sim, but US carriers lock down the phones enough to make it nearly impossible, unless you buy a grey market phone from out of the US.  Dual sim is a much more used function outside of the US, where folks get data sims separate from their phone sim.

Understood.  For breakage or failure, another physical phone on hand is nearly a must.  One flaw with dual sim is one is usually an esim, which requires a little more (not much though) to move it to a different phone. I keep (I think) a Pixel 5 or 6 around just in case.  I can use it for one line pretty easily.  It is what we used for travel (to leave in the RV to keep the RV router connected) before we got starlink.

I am pondering getting the i14 for the e sat function.  We have a handheld sat device (text and e messages), but not having to drag it around when we are out would be nice.  Would likely not trade in the i12 and keep it for the backup.

Marilyn, I'm with you.  And I keep my cell phone for myself, not use for business.  I still have a land line and voicemail box.  About 5 of my clients have my cell number because they are also church members and it's in the directory.  But I do not want to use my cell for business.  And the majority of the time, I have the sound off.  I check it frequently and do have my personal and business emails downloaded to keep up, but almost never respond on my phone.

When I retire in 3 years (I think) and give up my website and land line, I may keep a simple second cell with the number we've had since 1988 with 4 mailboxes - just for fun.  Dual sim cards?  Over my head, too, and I travel abroad every year. 

• Like 2

I have two business land lines.  Believe it or not, we still send and receive fax messages.  I HATE when a client texts me for an appointment.  The biggest waste of time in the life of a business, as I have stated before.  Pick up the phone and TALK!  Even call my cell phone, but TALK!!!!🥱

• Like 3

Interesting, I prefer email first, texting second and voice third. Although only my regular monthly and payroll clients have my cell phone number and none of them abuse it.

None of the few 1040 clients have my cell phone number. Almost all of my regular business clients have a scanner, so I did away with my fax line several years ago.

My preferences are partially due to the fact that I only work part time, 3 to 4 hours per day. I do have one 82 year old business client  who always calls

when I am not in my office so the calls go to my answering machine then I call him back the next day.

• Like 2

Texting Scenario:

Client:  Can I make an appointment?          Me:  Yes, when?

Client:  Let me ask my husband                  Me: (Waiting)

Client:  How about the ____?                        Me:  What time?

Client:  How about _______?                          Me:  Fine

And on and on it goes.......I HATE it!  Bear in mind that I have over 200 1040 clients!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, mcb39 said:

Texting Scenario:

Client:  Can I make an appointment?          Me:  Yes, when?

Client:  How about the ____?                        Me:  What time?

Client:  How about _______?                          Me:  Fine

And on and on it goes.......I HATE it!  Bear in mind that I have over 200 1040 clients!

If that was my experience, I would be frustrated too. Most of my appointments are made via email.

I give them several times to choose from and they pick one. It works well for me.

• Like 1

Have a dentist appt of your own? Go to your own booking site and book out the time you'll need. Can be faster than logging in to edit the page. Recurring meeting on Thursdays at 2pm? Block it off from setup, in perpetuity. Even the free version is pretty doggone configurable, and the paid versions get even more fancy, with options for multiple calendars (you, your assistant, your colleague in the same office, etc).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has been a bit since I looked, but I remember finding a couple of services which handled scheduling and getting paid for phone/online/remote access support time with customers.

Time is still money, offering one on one for free is costly, other than email and sms.  In the case here, it is unlikely you can get paid for initial consultation, but once retained, all time should be compensated in some manner.  At least for me, it has been a couple of decades since I could afford to chat on the phone, and a decade since I could take support calls on the phone without cutting into time I could have used to help others.  I ponder paid support, but have so few complaints about written support, it is a non starter at present.

I encourage calls from clients.  I want them to ask me questions and I know the questions that I want to ask them.  To many of you, this may seem foolish and a waste of time; but to me nothing is worse than having to do an amendment because something was missed.  I, personally, interview every client and give them as much time as they need.  I don't prepare returns while they are sitting here.  If it's going to be too much for me, I will refer them to a practitioner that I trust.  They are paying for my time and service.  I want to give them what they are paying for and I tell them that I am here all year if something comes up that they have a question about.  I don't like surprises at tax time.  My husband and I reflected on our 63 years together on Christmas Eve after all of the "kids" had gone.  We have been so blessed.  We started out with a lot of Nothing.  Neither of us even had a job at the time.  We have both worked hard both as employees and finally as self-employed.  We reflected on what we had then and what we have now.  We have been so blessed.  I have spent a lot of time learning and I don't mind sharing some of that time with individuals who need help.  When I go to bed at night, I sleep really well.😴❤️

• Like 4

With phone or any other non written information, how to you handle they said/I heard issues?  While we are in different industries, the issue is very relevant to both. In the current environment, many (including me) insist on having a trail for nearly everything, to reduce miscommunication, to provide backing, etc.

• Like 2