ATX Community

Filing Requirement

Christian

Every now and again a client's income falls below the filing threshold. I normally advise them to not file for the year for a nominal fee. They can return each year to assure themselves that they do not need to file for later years as some do since nobody ever seems to recall I advised if their situation changed to come back in to check it. One such client came in this year and her income no longer exceeds the filing threshold. She now has a small brokerage account having been left an inheritance which she took to EdwardJones. The broker sold a position in the account losing some $1,500 which of course reduced her income. On reflection I can recall no rule which would require the filing of a return just because of a trade in a client's brokerage account unless it produced a result which helped carry the client income over the filing threshold. But I just might have overlooked one of those sneaky IRS rules requiring such a filing so I am putting this in for comment.