ATX Community

California question

Catherine

Client worked in LA for a good part of the year and made a point of sending me a flyer from Robert Half about a deduction in California for office in home expenses for W2 employees (that can no longer be deducted on federal taxes). Well, I'm looking at the CA data entry items and bless me if I can find any place where this might go.

If someone can point me to what CA form it ends up on, perhaps I can find where to enter the information. I'd appreciate that. ATX entry screens won't help, 'cuz I use Drake now.

Thanks!

Itemization on the CA return differs from Schedule A on the federal return. CA still allows unreimbursed employee expenses and other miscellaneous deductions. (In my software, I enter it as I would on Sch A with my software not using it on federal but including it on the CA return.)

Haven't prepared any of my CA clients yet. I enter on the federal return on the same entry area as 1040 Sch A; it then appears on the CA 540 on Schedule CA(540) Part II line 19 Unreimbursed employee expenses, that's "Side" 5 per the form's page numbering along the bottom -- from a client's 2021 return. 

• Thanks 1

@Catherine  I know this is not a big help since I use ATX.   But in ATX you would use a business use of the home linked to a CA only 2106 that would populate page 6 of the 540 CA form. 

At the end of the day, it is going to end up on page 6 of the California Adjustments form in Drake.   How you get there I can't help with.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 1

Catherine,

On the "A" screen in Drake, the lower right hand of the window contains state only information. The 2106 form is highlighted in blue. When you click on the 2106 it opens and you can choose the state at the top. I would think the information should flow from there. I just saw Max basically posted the same thing.

• Like 1