ATX Community

E-file question

JJStephens

18 hours ago, JJStephens said:

within three days of the 8879

IIRC, within three days of receipt of the 8879.  I do a go bit of "returns by mail" and clients that pick up, sign and return 8879 a week (or month) later.  I note the received date on the 8879, or tape the envelope to the back.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Jim Oh Bkkr said:

I note the received date on the 8879, or tape the envelope to the back.

That's what I do. I've gotten clients who either mail the form back, or drop it off in person, weeks after signing it. I put "Rec'd mm-dd-yy" on the top, sign it myself with that date, and then e-file usually the same day or certainly within the three days of receipt.

• Like 4

The fact that our efiles now go stale after 5 days drives me nuts.  I always create the efile when I do the return so I make sure I've got all my errors fixed and so it gets into the efile menu and isn't forgotten.  And lo and behold my client comes in on day 6. And then I even like to wait another day so I don't get the "oh i forgot to tell you" phone call. I waste so much time re-opening and re-creating.  GRRRRR grumble mumble.......grumble mumble.....

• Like 6

On 4/4/2023 at 7:16 PM, BrewOne said:

I've had a few issues with the software not happy with a date (previous month, sat in the e-file box too long).  But I haven't seen an IRS inspection of 8879's in about 24 years...

OP here. I had one last month. IRS rep called me on Mar 2 and said I had been selected at random for a compliance audit. Said she'd be here on Mar 16. Great timing--right in the thick of tax season. She spent about half the time she was here checking 8879 signature dates vs e-filing dates. We passed with flying colors, but that's why I'm now a bit paranoid!

• Like 4