ATX Community

To all you Global Warming Folks

redux

Santa Cruz To Hire Global Warming Czar For $80,000 A Year

POSTED: 6:22 am PDT July 13, 2007

SANTA CRUZ, Calif. -- There's a job opening in Santa Cruz for the newly created position of global warming czar. The job pays $80,000 a year.

The global warming coordinator will help prevent climate change, guide the city in transportation and land-use decisions and get the community involved in the effort.

Planning director Greg Larson says the czar will, among other things, address possible sea level rise. He hopes to have a candidate selected by the end of August.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

>>There's a job opening in Santa Cruz...<<

As a matter of fact, I happen to live and work in Santa Cruz, California. It's a very weird community. The tax business is weird too, because (other than these highly-paid political hacks and some university bureaucrats) nobody has a real job. And the idea of family is stretched farther here than anywhere else.

But if any of you are thinking of applying for Climate Czar, I'll be happy to write a letter of recommendation!

jainen

p.s. Don't bother unless you have at least a doctorate in both marine biology and engineering physics, preferably with several years experience conducting wiccan rituals.

>>There's a job opening in Santa Cruz...<<

As a matter of fact, I happen to live and work in Santa Cruz, California. It's a very weird community. The tax business is weird too, because (other than these highly-paid political hacks and some university bureaucrats) nobody has a real job. And the idea of family is stretched farther here than anywhere else.

But if any of you are thinking of applying for Climate Czar, I'll be happy to write a letter of recommendation!

jainen

p.s. Don't bother unless you have at least a doctorate in both marine biology and engineering physics, preferably with several years experience conducting wiccan rituals.

I considered applying (for about 10 seconds) but...I can't afford the pay cut, or the million dollar home.

>>Who could afford to live in CA on an $80,000 income anyways?<<

Don't be so starry-eyed. $80,000 is like the top 10% of household incomes here. I raised my three boys on less than half that. My rent on a 2-bdr house in town is $330. Sure, that's not the "typical" arrangement, but everyone here figures something out one way or another.

but everyone here figures something out one way or another.

Figuring something out here usually means living on the beach until you can afford to fly off this rock. Personally I don't really care for Hawaii. It's like a prison for those of us who like to go out for a drive on a whim. I miss the isolatin of our camp on the lake, the lack of traffic and all.

Currently I have a rent very similar to what you mention, just with a 3 bedroom house with a nice yard. Not going to be able to stay in it though as the lease ends Dec 2008 and it looks like the state is going to take over.

Santa Cruz To Hire Global Warming Czar For $80,000 A Year

POSTED: 6:22 am PDT July 13, 2007

SANTA CRUZ, Calif. -- There's a job opening in Santa Cruz for the newly created position of global warming czar. The job pays $80,000 a year.

The global warming coordinator will help prevent climate change, guide the city in transportation and land-use decisions and get the community involved in the effort.

Planning director Greg Larson says the czar will, among other things, address possible sea level rise. He hopes to have a candidate selected by the end of August.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

All you have to do to earn the $80,000 is to warm the globe. Sounds like an easy job. All you need to do is sit around your office, drink coffee and let the sun do all the work.

>>let the sun do all the work<<

It's not that easy. First of all, we have a very different relationship with the sun here in Surf City. That's why I mentioned the wiccan rituals.

Even more important, the Climate Czar is not going to "let" anything happen. In Santa Cruz, global warming is not a political question. (In fact, we don't allow ANY political questions, so don't even bother asking.) What will be required is an exceedingly technical solution, which is why you need all that scientific background.

Most important of all, like all bureaucrats everywhere the Climate Czar will certainly not have any relationship to anything that could be called "work."

Even more important, the Climate Czar is not going to "let" anything happen. In Santa Cruz, global warming is not a political question. (In fact, we don't allow ANY political questions, so don't even bother asking.) What will be required is an exceedingly technical solution, which is why you need all that scientific background.

I figured the job of a Global Warming Czar anywhere in Cali would be to print the stickers that say "Global warming is known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects"

>>Global Warming Czar anywhere in Cali<<

Santa Cruz is a small town on the central coast of California. Cali is one of the biggest cities in South America. It is famous for especially hot music, but I don't think they are hiring a Global Warming Czar.

Uh....I've only been to Santa Cruz a couple of times, but it didn't look like a "small town" to me. 'Course, I was born and raised up north in Fort Bragg, so what do I know? :)

And why is it that people from other states insist on calling this place Cali, anyway? I've never heard that from a native Californian.

>>Global Warming Czar anywhere in Cali<<

Santa Cruz is a small town on the central coast of California. Cali is one of the biggest cities in South America. It is famous for especially hot music, but I don't think they are hiring a Global Warming Czar.

And why is it that people from other states insist on calling this place Cali, anyway? I've never heard that from a native Californian.

Hmm, is the trend escalating? Is it because the state's Czar, oops Governor, pronounces California more like the word "cauliflower?" :P