ATX Community

Has somebody crashed our forum?

Randall

Just one more point. The last one posted had some horrid pictures, which opened with the post. So if you don't want to dirty your mind with this crud, don't open them at all. You can click on the little check box at the far right, and then delete them all without ever opening them.

Just one more point. The last one posted had some horrid pictures, which opened with the post. So if you don't want to dirty your mind with this crud, don't open them at all. You can click on the little check box at the far right, and then delete them all without ever opening them.

KC where is the check box to delete you referred to?

Moderators get the 'delete' option, we don't unfortunately. Yup, it was bound to happen that the slimballs would find the forum, but also note that deleting an occasional post is not going to do you any good as they have loaded the board into a database of forums most likely, so you can delete all you want, they will come back. That's the bad thing about automated posting scripts, once you are in one of the databases, forget trying to get rid of them.

Some ideas to slow them down. Change the URL of the signup page once a week. Capcha works a bit, but once again is easily defeatable. If the forum software allows, disallow attachments/HTML for members with less than a week/10 posts.

I deleted every user that registered today. I hope we didn't have any legit registrations, but things were getting out of hand.

I've also patched some of the SPAM protections and enabled some other security features. Hopefully that keeps the bots out... I'll be watching tomorrow morning to make sure the changes did the trick.

Eric: Thanks once again for all your efforts to initially set up this forum and your ongoing efforts to keep it running smoothly. Thanks to KC for all she does to moderate as well, especially with the personal pressures she is going through at present. I'm using this episode as a reminder to myself that it's time to make another contribution toward the upkeep and maintenace of the forum, which I did this morning. I urge anyone else who feels so inclined to do the same.

Eric: Thanks once again for all your efforts to initially set up this forum and your ongoing efforts to keep it running smoothly. Thanks to KC for all she does to moderate as well, especially with the personal pressures she is going through at present. I'm using this episode as a reminder to myself that it's time to make another contribution toward the upkeep and maintenace of the forum, which I did this morning. I urge anyone else who feels so inclined to do the same.

That was a pretty shocking experience. Thanks for the reminder to donate.