ATX Community

will IRS give me the PIN

schirallicpa

Sounds like you will need to call the IP PIN help desk, with the client with you. At that time (once you have the PIN) you can ask how a return could have been filed for them without it. 

OTOH, if they can't find it - did a family member steal their info? Try to "help" by filing a return for them? A filed return with an IP PIN required is doubly suspicious.

• Like 4

After spending about an hour on the phone with IRS to get a damn PIN I was told that the electronic signature on the 2848 was only acceptable when uploaded thru the IRS portal.  Which it was uploaded thru the portal. Which my software says it was accepted on Oct 3.  But the woman at the PIN phone center didn't find it.  So she asked me to fax it to her.  And then she wouldn't accept it because it needs to be an original signature.  😒

• Angry 2

Just plain run around BS. No faxed form contains an original signature. They can't tell if it is a wet signature or copy on a fax. I have had them refuse a digital signature even when it was processed through docusign or verifyle which are both IRS approved. I have used all methods of uploading, faxing through normal channels and the portal plus client accounts, nothing is any faster and depends on the agent answering the phone. Faxing the 2848 to the CAF means it may or maynot ever get recorded. 

• Like 1

"The IRS says it is processing third-party authorizations, including Forms 2848 and Forms 8821, in the order received. They cannot currently provide a timeframe for completion.

The IRS recommends submitting those forms through the Tax Pro Account tool, assuming you have a Centralized Authorization Number (CAF) Number.

Note that the Submit Forms 2848 and 8821 Online tool allows both Form 2848 and Form 8821 authorizations to be uploaded online but still requires manual processing.

Practically speaking, tax pros can also submit a Form 2848 to the agent you're talking with on the phone—via fax (do not expect those to be processed for use in the future)."