ATX Community

The calm is over

Medlin Software, Dennis

For me, tomorrow starts the procrastinator's rush. Will likely last until the middle of Jan. Coupled with the inevitable questions regarding EOY payroll reporting, my fam knows to leave me be from work start until I have an after work adult beverage.

What do you mean I have to efile my W2 data? What do you mean I have to efile my 1099 data? Why are the employee's getting more net pay with the same gross as 2023? Why is my employee complaining not enough WH tax was withheld (a favorite since TY 2020)? How to I handle 1099 employees? (there still is no such thing!). How do I back date a paycheck, net to zero, to fix/resolve/acquiesce for some situation an owner/employee is demanding be handled after the fact, such as how to I pay an owner/employee, in 2024, their one "paycheck" for 2023?

10 hours ago, Lee B said:

What do you do if a client terminates an employee or an employee quits this week?

Which is why I always wait.

most of my clients pay on a friday.. two week cycle.. so the checks dated 12.29.23 were for hours worked for the two weeks ending 12.23.23.  if someone quit say today, 12.28.23 any hours worked from 12.24.23 to the day they quit get paid on the payroll dated in 2024

I have one client that is already asking when the K-1s are going to be available from the trust.   To be fair, we have been gathering all the documents during the year for the final year of the trust and I have everything but the forms in ATX.   The tax return is mostly done, but I have no CA trust forms and of course efile is not open yet.   The Trustee is sick and tired of her half brother making demands on her during the entire process.   It is a thankless job to be the trustee of a decedent trust.

And so it begins...tax season 2024 arrives in 2023.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JimTaxes said:

most of my clients pay on a friday.. two week cycle.. so the checks dated 12.29.23 were for hours worked for the two weeks ending 12.23.23.  if someone quit say today, 12.28.23 any hours worked from 12.24.23 to the day they quit get paid on the payroll dated in 2024

Depending on the state and circumstances, payment on the spot may be required. In states with this obligation, employers and their payroll process should know this and be prepared (and not prepare EOY until after close of business Dec 31).

Tom, As an estate admin, I have one beneficiary who has yet to cash any of their checks. It has now been three years. Unfortunately, they asked for, and received replacements earlier this year, starting the clock again. This time, they did seem to try to cash the check, but it was refused as stale.

6 hours ago, JimTaxes said:

Perhaps the rules are different in your state?  In my state, if an employee gives advance notice of quitting  or if an employer terminates an employee,

the employer has 24 hours to produce the final paycheck.

17 minutes ago, Lee B said:

Perhaps the rules are different in your state?  In my state, if an employee gives advance notice of quitting  or if an employer terminates an employee,

Many of our fifedoms have PTB who create/created unique rules. For instance, TX requires a signature (or allowed equivelant) on pay receipts. Some have no pay receipt rules, or even pay frequency rules.

26 minutes ago, Lee B said:

I have not verified these, but for OR, on a reputable amalgamation site:

image.thumb.png.8153312b7edd8593a45d1311bb49f8c8.png

If the above is accurate, for OR, I would suggest all pay on the spot rather than rely on proving an exception. Advance notice of at least 48 hours seems to require spot payment (sans weekend and holiday - with holiday not defined and cause more grey area, state, local, tribal, federal, all, some?), not within 24 hours.

For me, defense is a waste of time (money) so dragging things out, even to make a point, is an unneeded head and wallet ache.

In my case, hourly employees are not performing any services the remainder of the year, and others have already been paid for Dec, so I am at zero risk of needing to add another paycheck in 2023.

As time marches on, those who are experts in all but the most "micro" of "things" wanes. Employers are no different.  For employers, the most reliable advice is to pay at least twice a month (more often if required), pay on the spot at separation, and make your tax deposits at the same time you make your payroll payments. It is all about preventing errors/omissions, not playing games to the fullest extent of the rules - or as I hear daily - trying to make what amounts to a few cents floating trust fund monies.

Of course, the above goes against all who have FBD or MetaD after their name (Doctor of Facebook or Doctor of Googling).

I guess I am officially a boomer/old timer, since I remember when googol was just a number with a leading 1 followed by 100 zeroes. It was such a cool concept to a grade schooler it helped trigger my fascination with numbers/mathematics.

Just got a nastygram because I asked someone to follow written directions. Same directions the person has been following every year since the early 90's. Yes, calm is over.

Added: The pay on the spot ability is something every employer should be prepared and able to do.  Cash, check, whatever.  Power outage, banking issues, other disaster. Be prepared to take care of those who take care of you.  When pressed, my advice is to have cash or checks on hand, and the ability to access/sign, at all times. At least be able to pay a few days wages, even if a WAG, to all, in case the accountant/payroll person disappears, computer fails, power is out, etc.

UGH.  One of our kids is dealing with a break in/theft, and the person who they can prove did it, is related to a muckety muck in their local law enforcement. We have given them our suggestion (ask the DA who their mutual aid agency is, which should be compelled to investigate), and get their landlord and renters insurance folks involved. Calm is over...

• Sad 4
  • Angry 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Calm has returned, for a week or so!  Most have had their first payroll of the year, so panic orders are done. Many have done their EOY filing. It will pick up again at the end of Jan for those who wait until the last second to file EOY payroll reports (similar to your April 15).

The 1099 IRIS seemingly changed CSV column placement while closed, but not a huge issue. New customers (of a now closed former competitor and the next to last longtime shareware author still around - I am now likely the last) seem to be doing well, no major issues other than questioning cases where zero WH "is" the proper calculation, and wondering why I do not let them alter the calculations (proper) I build in.

The only real nagging issue is one long time customer who has asked more than a dozen times, the same question. It is clear they are not seeing/reading my replies, and are not seeing/reading my text messages to them. None are rejected, and the SMS system I use shows them as being received. I need to find a stamp or three and send them copies of my replies on paper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Received a message worthy of AITA posting, although I did not. Threats don't work well for me, especially from someone wanting something for free to use to make money themselves.

"I have a client that uses Medlin and he wants me to access his books! I have tried through the free trial, but it says I have to purchase Medlin. If this is the case then, you will lose him as a client. Please let me know how to access his books one time to try to help him balance and print out reports for his taxes, without me having to purchase Medlin

I did ask if they wanted to share their FEIN as part of my response, but turns out it is moot as it took only seconds to get their EA license information. The truth is, they downloaded a month ago, their free trial ran out today, likely why they are asking for a free license.

• Sad 2
  • Angry 1

Here is part of my reply. "If you are making some sort of implication I have to give you something, you are on your own. You and your client are more than able to find another option. What is your FEIN and PTIN? Would you want the message you sent, with the ultimatum, shared?  Say with the public, or your licensing entity?  I mean really, what did you expect to get with such a threat?  If you cannot make heads and tails out of printed reports a client sends you, or you are not making enough or able to charge enough to cover the software you need, why are you expecting something free (which you are going to use to make money) from us?  Do you work for free?"

I am omitting a screen image of their online ad (as an accountant/EA).

==

Received this back today "I am sorry I did not mean to be rude or threatening at all."

==

blah blah. I don't buy it. I don't have a great way to figure out which customer, nor am I going to ask the 5 possibilities - although I thought about it -I wish I knew, as I would ask them why they retain someone who tried to bully me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Ugh.  I just got a written earful, and threats of bad reviews and BBB reporting from a now former client.  All because I pointed out a possible error, which now appears to be a knowing decision to defraud (the old "protest too much" theory).  I don't worry about threats or bad reviews, and in this case, I suspect nothing will happen out of fear they will get caught. I reserve the right to be wrong, in case there is a statutory or other exception.

Person asked why the W2 "I" prepared is different than the 1099 they received.

"I own my own business (S-corp).  I work under X and they do my billing, credentialing, etc. I am an independent contractor. I pay for their services and they give me a biweekly check minus their pay. Does that make sense? I bought your software to pay myself and give myself a W2 at the end of the year. "

I shared information pointing to an employer/employee relationship.  The result "Can I receive my money back for your services? I will be dealing with another company. Again, I did not ask for your opinion. Apparently I am dealing with a narcissist and as a counselor I would like to set a boundary. I will be reporting our conversations to BBB and anyone else who will listen including the referral source I was given for your software."

• Like 1
  • Angry 2

Eerily calm now.  Since about 1pm pacific, few messages. I suppose all who are timely submitting W2 data have done so.  It has been a long four months, and I am ready for calm. Maybe the longest four months I have had (work) because of the repetitive issues with W2 efile questions, and a large number of new customers wondering why their low paid employees are incorrectly getting zero for their calculated FWH.

I am thankful for those who heeded my nags and gained access to SSA timely.

The one which is nagging me today, and it could not have been associated with anyone here, is a complaint (not a question, just asking why the calculations are wrong), as a customer's employee's accountant said 1% was deducted for FWH, when "it has to be at least 10%".  Like the decades old joke about "I cannot find the ANY key to press", I have yet to see any W4 setting or calculation for FWH to be a flat %.  Well, the exception is not a flat %, but the current form allows essentially turning off FWH calc, and selecting a flat dollar amount for the year. My client says the employee is raising a large stink, and is not listening to the employer telling them to pound sand, the amount is correct for the instructions FROM THE EMPLOYEE on their W4. The customer has gone quiet, after my last advice to ask the accountant to provide a signed valid W4 showing a flat % for FWH. Should have led with the last advice...

While writing this, received a good old annual "why is federal withholding less this month than last month, with no changes to earnings or W4? Does the software have an issue?".  A couple of clicks, and onto the next.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1