ATX Community

Sole proprietor deceased and no records found for business

My client was a housekeeper for many years. She passed away and her son says that he can't find any records, including calendars, for her 2023 business. They didn't talk much. Sadly, nobody found her for a week. There is no interest on his part to find anything to help prepare her Schedule C and I certainly don't want to make it up. I'm pretty sure that it was all cash, but she always gave me paperwork with a healthy profit. I have her interest income, but that's it.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, DANRVAN said:

Is son personal rep?  Maybe he would at least authorize bank to release statements to you.  PR is responsible for filing final tax return.

That would only be helpful if she deposited all of the cash in her bank account before she spent anything.

What would you do as far as expenses?

29 minutes ago, Lee B said:

The way to reconstruct her income would require finding a list of her repeat customers, how much she usually charged them and how often she did

housekeeping and when she stopped working.

Apparently, from the OP there are no records.  I wonder if her phone was checked, if she had one.  It could have a calendar and other info.  all of this is for naught as the son is reluctant to cooperate.   

• Like 1

The interest income was from an annuity set up by her parents years ago. She has not pulled money out of it for years. I am not going to make her records up myself. I may just have to go with her Social Security and whatever her son can scrounge up. 

I don't know if he could find anything on her phone, because it's a flip phone. 

She was a nice lady, but was not very trusting. 

• Like 1