ATX Community

64 Bit Windows Vista and ATX

RDennis

My previous computer died, and I (perhaps unfortunately) bought an off-the-shelf Dell computer, with Windows Vista 64 preloaded. I have installed all my previous software. All software works properly, except for the following:

I am able to print from Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Excel, Word and Peachtree. I am unable to print from QB 2002 and 2005 (probably not too surprising, as they are not Vista compatible). However, I am not able to print from ATX 2008 or 2007. The software doesn't even recognize the print command--nothing happens.

I assume some members of the board have Windows Vista 64 on their computers and have been able to print.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

RDennis

KC,

Unfortunately I had tried that, and that did not solve the problem. I assume there must be some other folks who were forced to (or wanted to) buy a new computer recently that was loaded with Vista 64. Another person with a similar problem has submitted a question on the ATX Support website. Their advice was to check the drivers and reload the printer. I have also done that.

I am thinking I might have to downgrade from Vista to XP. I assume that is possible, but I don't know.

Thanks for your response, however.

Dennis

KC,

Unfortunately I had tried that, and that did not solve the problem. I assume there must be some other folks who were forced to (or wanted to) buy a new computer recently that was loaded with Vista 64. Another person with a similar problem has submitted a question on the ATX Support website. Their advice was to check the drivers and reload the printer. I have also done that.

I am thinking I might have to downgrade from Vista to XP. I assume that is possible, but I don't know.

Thanks for your response, however.

Dennis

Or downgrade to Vista 32 bit... it would be a shame to have to do that though, and not take full advantage of your new hardware.

I'm running Vista with a 64 bit system. first, not knowing better, I should not have purchased a 64 bit system. But it appears, that that is what's needed in order to run 4 GB's of RAM.

now on to your question. I was able to reinstall my 2004 - 2007 ATX programs fine, but not my 2003 and earlier. not much of an issue. But funny thing happened when I woke up the next morning. The programs were there, but all the data was gone. Every morning, I would have to re-install all the tax returns from the prior year.

I called ATX, who told me that the prior year programs are not supported by Vista but did give me the following advice. In the control panel, under "User Accounts and Family Safety" you need to disable turn off the User Account Control.

I did this, and now everything runs nicely.

I'm running Vista with a 64 bit system. first, not knowing better, I should not have purchased a 64 bit system. But it appears, that that is what's needed in order to run 4 GB's of RAM.

now on to your question. I was able to reinstall my 2004 - 2007 ATX programs fine, but not my 2003 and earlier. not much of an issue. But funny thing happened when I woke up the next morning. The programs were there, but all the data was gone. Every morning, I would have to re-install all the tax returns from the prior year.

I called ATX, who told me that the prior year programs are not supported by Vista but did give me the following advice. In the control panel, under "User Accounts and Family Safety" you need to disable turn off the User Account Control.

I did this, and now everything runs nicely.

I just upgraded my computer to 4GB RAM. I'm running XP. I think the 64 bit machines allow you to go well above the 4GB RAM.

Are those with 64 bit machines (and Vista 64 bit) running the 2008 ATX ok? What about other programs such as QB and Peachtree? I'm planning to buy a new machine later in 2009. I'm not concerned with the older program versions as I will keep my current machine for old returns, etc. But I would like to get the top of the line 64 bit on the new machine and not have problems with software.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a new HP running 64 bit Vista. When I open up ATX 2008 I get an error message about files. The other years are fine. Got off the phone with ATX and they said that it is a no go with 64 Vista Windows and I might either want to change machine or software vendor!!!! Is anyone else having this problems with ATX 08? I really love the new machine and don't want to change.

Thanks

Stephanie

Hi,

I bought a new dell laptop which came with vista and paid extra to downgrade it to XP. I then purchased the online Laplink PCmover to copy all my old programs and files from the old laptop to the new one. Everything worked perfectly. All versions of quickbooks and all versions of tax software worked without issues.. More importantly, the tranfer only took a few hours and I was able to work on the new machine very quickly..

I am planning to stick with XP until I am forced to upgrade which I would do with a new computer...

I did two things and it worked

1 - turned off the UAC as mentioned above

2 - Right click my ATX icon, properties, compatibility in Windows xp

Not sure which worked but I print fine now. :blush:

As to other software: I have Quickbooks 07-09 and havent' had too many issues. Still working out the bugs though. Paystubs email in gibberish.

One thing that did affect ATX is that I used Quickbooks to "print" my clients W2s and printed to ATX's SFS printer to capture it. Its defaut is to place in C:\Programs(x86)\ATX2008\Imports but that directory seems protected the text file wouldn't show up until I went to a different directory in my documents folder. Just a thought - after that it imported.

I'm keeping the 64bit. I'll just hack and dig through forums like this to get the thing to work. Seems most of its issues center around printing.

Oh and KS, the KB ID 21286 instructs you to change the compatibility mode for the printer. There is no tab on my for that. So that doesn't cover it.

wish ATX would fix - course wish ATX support was what it used to be.

Shawn

This type of issue might be one that Kyle and his crew at VMS could resolve.

I am hoping Kyle can help me.....I am finally getting a new PC and will use my 6-year old Dell Dimension as a back-up only....Remember when a Pentium 4 was cutting edge?

With the employee purchase plan I am using, I get a HUGE discount....but Windows XP is not an option (I would have been willing to pay more, but no such option).

As such, my new Dell XPS 630 will arrive with Vista 64 Bit.....and I am anticipating probems!

We have experienced many of our clients that use Vista 64bit and this is something that we could help out with. Our technicians are always willing and waiting to help you guys out. If anyone should come across any issues, just give me a call. We'll get everything squared away!

Janitor Bob - I also answered the other post you left.