ATX Community

Rolling Over from 2007 to 2008

JohnH

I assume that the advice to roll over clients from 2007 to 2008 only when needed (just prior to beginning work on them) is still valid. I learned that bit of information from the ATX Forum a couple of years back and have followed it each year. Am I correct in thinking that it's still a best practice?

I only roll over last year's when the client shows up for their appointment. I look over the previous year to prepare, but I have learned from hindsight when I used PRS, don't push the button until I see the "whites" of their eyes. I have the feeling that this will happen again this year. More do it yourself'ers.

I sometimes roll over when they make their appointment if I am trying to look it over before they come in or work on things like depreciation before they actually arrive in the office. I can always delete it if they don't show, and even re-rollover if needed. But usually I roll it over when they are walking down the hall to my office.

I rollover when I see the client. Hopefully all the forms are updated at that point in time especially state. I always leave a test or dummy on last years to rollover this way I can see if there is any problems and I can play and test the program and return.

I also use the Test return for the E-file test. Yes, one at a time here too; the day that they are coming in.