ATX Community

I need to increase my prices

jainen

At the Republican debate last weekend, one of the candidates was discussing how to simplify the tax code, "which now requires $140 billion of American families’ income to prepare their tax returns." Does anybody know where he got that number, and if it is correct? Because if it is, I need to increase my prices. That's an average of three or four thousand dollars!

I think he had the right number, but attached to the wrong subject. I think that is the estimated cost of 'tax preparation' in this country, but that includes business returns as well. So you have GM's tax preparation in there, for just one obvious example, and all the other smaller businesses, partnerships, corps, even estates and trusts, etc.

I raise my rates every year to cover my increasing costs and to give myself a much deserved raise. I rarely have a problem with my clients. I add an aggravation fee to those that aggravate and they always complain. I tell them they are free to go elsewhere but they never do!

taxbilly

I add an aggravation fee to those that aggravate and they always complain. I tell them they are free to go elsewhere but they never do!

taxbilly

I like the idea of an aggravation fee! I think we all have a few of those type. You know the ones that call you during peak season to ask stupid questions? Or worse yet the ones that keep calling (I have a few that can not get through the tax season without calling at least 8 - 10 times asking questions that really do not pertain to my filing their taxes) and then there is the ones that you make repeated calls for additional info and they never respond until they have an immediate need for their refund and then make you feel like your the one holding them up!)

I think I too shall had an aggravation charge!

Good ideal taxbilly!

I think the funniest ones are those who call during tax season to let me know they are getting their info together and to let me know they will be calling back later to set up an appointment. (Maybe they're just checking to be sure I haven't died).

I like the idea of an aggravation fee! I think we all have a few of those type. You know the ones that call you during peak season to ask stupid questions? Or worse yet the ones that keep calling (I have a few that can not get through the tax season without calling at least 8 - 10 times asking questions that really do not pertain to my filing their taxes) and then there is the ones that you make repeated calls for additional info and they never respond until they have an immediate need for their refund and then make you feel like your the one holding them up!)

I think I too shall had an aggravation charge!

Good ideal taxbilly!

My favorite was a guy who called and told me he had an opportunity to get married and wondered if that would be a tax disadvantage.

I told him that getting married should not be based on tax implications.