ATX Community

transferring returns the another computer

Lucho

I have already installed the 2007 program on a vista application computer. there are no returns at all in it yet. I have a portable hard drive with all the returns from 2007 which I need to transfer to the program (I do not have a network). I have been trying to transfer those returns but I have not been able to do it. Customer support was trying to help me this morning but I ran out of time and I had to go.

Can someone direct me on how to do it please. Logging at ATX Support has become a pain with us being locked all of a sudden

I would appreciate if someone can give me a document # that I can use to transfer those returns to the program

Thank you

Lucho

You must first export (not backup) the 2007 files to your external hard drive

and then to put them on the new Vista computer you must import them from

that external hard drive.

I did the same thing and it worked great.

I wish you success.

Thank you.

I will try it.

Yep, I had a new computer a couple years ago and exported the returns to a flash drive from the old computer and then (after installing the program on the new computer) imported the returns to the new computer. It was so fast, that I decided to install all my prior years programs on the new computer and do the same export/import procedure to get the returns on my new computer and not have to rely on the old computer any more. It was very quick and easy. Just remember: it's NOT backup/restore. It's export/import. Enjoy your new computer. I'm holding out for Windows 7.

From the User's Guide, page 156, which you can find by going to MyATX, KnowledgeBase, and it's linked in the list to the left.

Backing Up vs. Exporting Returns

Depending on your needs, you will use either the Backup or Export feature to archive your

data. Be sure to review the characteristics of these two features so you can choose the

appropriate tool for a specific backup task.

The Export feature:

• Saves the most recent copies of one or more returns.

• Does not save bank product and e-filing information such as important notices and enrollment data.

• Must be performed manually.

• Should only be used to transfer returns (from your office computer to your home computer, for example).

The Backup feature:

• Saves multiple return versions.

• Saves bank product and e-filing information such as important notices and enrollment data.

• Can be run automatically at specified intervals.

• Is intended to be used as part of your office’s overall data storage/backup plan.

Be sure to store a copy of your backup files in an off-site location. If off-site storage is

not feasible, we recommend making a regular practice of copying the program's

automatic backups to a CD-R, tape-storage device, or other portable storage medium.

Thanks KC.......that makes sense. I always knew I had to export, import to move the files, but never did understand the difference, either. I export all files as I work on them to zip disk. I export them to a flash drive in order to work on the laptop if I am going to be out of the office.; then restore them to the desktop in order to e-file. Is it not correct that all returns should be e-filed from the same computer?

There is another possibility.

On your portable hard drive, find the files (returns) or the "Database" folder from the ATX program and then copy the contents of that "Database" folder.

Then -- "My Computer" - "Program Files" - "ATX, 2007" - "Database" (If indeed "there are no returns at all in it yet" simply copy either:

1. The files into the "Database" folder or,

2. Copy the "Database" folder into the ATX program.

There is another possibility.

On your portable hard drive, find the files (returns) or the "Database" folder from the ATX program and then copy the contents of that "Database" folder.

Then -- "My Computer" - "Program Files" - "ATX, 2007" - "Database" (If indeed "there are no returns at all in it yet" simply copy either:

1. The files into the "Database" folder or,

2. Copy the "Database" folder into the ATX program.