ATX Community

How are you liking the software?

Roberts

JMO but:

The conversion software did a nice job of converting the information. I still need to have the old software open for reference but it is better than expected.

I wish the efile worked better than it does. It's goofy the way you get the reports and stuff and I'm never 100% sure I'm doing it correctly even with the instructions.

Some of the warnings are virtually impossible to wipe out.

I wish the bank account numbers for automatic deposit would flow through better when I enter them.

ATX was easier to use and this is about as complicated as ProSeries. What I absolutely LOVE is the quickness the program opens and you are working. With ATX it would take more than a minute just to open the software and then a long time to get a return open but this software is up and running in 15 seconds and I'm in a return almost instantly. Absolutely love that in my practice.

I really don't like it much. Right now I'm trying to firure out how to print to pdf.

I don't like not be able to see the finished forms before printing. Taxwise has so many 'extra' lines,

like the real estate tax and mortgage interest lines on Sch A, that unless I watch VERY carefully

where I put amounts, I can get it wrong, and that slows me down.

To me, it's kind of a dumbing down . Yeah, if you don't know where the information goes, it helps.

But we're all supposed to know where it goes.

Hard to find the reports I want, efile is weird, but the program is fast.

Details print out that I don't want and I haven't been able to find out how to stop them.

I wasn't all that impressed with Intellitax last year, but I liked it better than I do Taxwise.

I have mixed feelings.

There are some little things it really should do and doesn't. Other things are really nice. I like the red on fields that need completing -easy to visually see missing information. I can't believe W-2 entry won't auto calculate if there are figures in Box 12. Acknowledgment reporting isn't very user friendly. State returns so far have been a breeze. The program opens, closes and navigates quickly. It seems odd that CCH doesn't incorporate improvements in one program into its others (like the W-2 auto calculating). I agree with the dumbing down -3 places to enter mortgage interest on the Schedule A, same with property taxes - I have to really scrutinize the form to make sure I get the figure in the right field...I'd prefer to see one box filled in by completing another form.... All in all I guess I'm OK with it, not the greatest...not the worse...

The W-2 not calculating bothers me, too. If your boxes 1,3,&5 are different, you have to tell it not to calculate. Then, it can't even calculate 4 based on 3 or 6 based on 5.

Is there a way to calculate a value in a field? If so, I haven't found it yet. In some programs, if you start with an "=" it will calculate, others you just hit + or * or whatever calculation you want to make. Sometimes the client has 2 mortgage statements and I like to add in the software. I guess I'll just keep using the trusty calculator (or just add in my head).

I've used the "print to PDF" button - but I prefer my own .pdf writers. You know, little things like being able to name your file what you want. But last week that stopped, along with printing to my Canon multi-function printer. Usually (but not always) I can print to their "print to PDF" and I can sometimes print to one of my older printers. Then again, sometimes when I print all I get is the cover letter and privacy policy, sometimes nothing at all. I was with tech support for over 2 hours tonight and it is still not fixed. She did mention that TaxWise doesn't like multi-function printers. Well, it printed OK up until last week. She also didn't think it was due to a problem when updating.

The red line feature is very cool.

To print the 9325s you can select to do that automatically when accepted. It's a choice in the printer options. That was fine until I had printer issues. I couldn't figure out how to print them otherwise. The nice tech lady explained that tonight, too. Once my printer is working, I have to run the acknowledgment report and at some stage in there it should print automatically again. Haven't tried it yet, because you don't see the 9325 on screen.

Why are you not able to print to .pdf? It's an option on the print screen. That was the EASIEST thing I could do :)

I do like the red line but I wish it could be over ruled to say you have corrected the information. On Schedule C revenue I have a red line that I can't get rid of because I'm not giving it a 1099. That's not a requirement.

For the extra lines on the Schedule A - they should BOLD where the information is normally entered. Most people entering mortgage interest are putting it on the exact same line except for the rare occasion. Just BOLD where I should be normally entering data.

Yes, it is easy. I could do it up until last week. Then either the software or the printer or the computer or ???? decided it would only do it when it felt like it. Which means it usually doesn't. The great folks at VMSUS worked on it about 3 hours Friday and finally decided it must be related to a software update. The TRX people worked on it over 2 hours last night and couldn't figure it out. I'm not having printing problems with Firefox, Thunderbird, Excel, Word or Adobe. So it does appear to be a TaxWise issue.

It's some kind of bug somewhere but we haven't been able to find it yet. It's pretty frustrating!

I agree with you about the Schedule A, too. I have to really read the lines closely to make sure I put data in the right places.

I was feeling so proud of myself for knowing that .pdf solution and then you give me a real excuse......

I'm NOT going to tell you how long it took me to figure out how to delete a return. I refuse because it will destroy all credibility I have. Do I have any? Ok, it was at least 90 minutes. It just seemed like it should have been so easy.

Did you try printing with one of those free .pdf generation programs? Cnet download has a few. They work well for me.

I don't even remember how long it took for me to figure out how to delete a return. It was one of the few things I learned from the book. 90 minutes doesn't sound too bad.

I'm currently using 3 3rd party .pdf generators (5 if you count the new versions of 2 of the old ones). I have pdf factory, doPDF, and docuPrinter. I prefer doPDF. In Intellitax, last year, it would save each form of the return in a new file. So printing one return would generate multiple .pdf files. DocuPrinter took care of that problem by letting you append the new file to the existing file. The downside was that it was a trial version and stamped it's name across the bottom of each page. A lot of people really like pdf Factory. It seems fine, but I haven't used it much.

90% of the time I print a tax return to one of those 3, I don't get anything. Sometimes I get the message asking where to save it, sometimes not. The printer icon will show in the systray and tell me it is 17 (or however many) pages. About 10% of the time I get a copy of the cover letter and privacy policy (something else I could not find without help).

At this point, I can usually print to .pdf program TaxWise defaults to (not sure what program they use). Even that's not a given. I just hope it doesn't stop on me. Once I get that generated, I can print the .pdf file wherever I want.

Oh, and TRX tech people told me that TaxWise doesn't particularly like multi-function printers. Just in case that helps with anyone else's problems.

Kea - Have you gotten any resolution about this DoPDF / TaxWise issue?

Hi Kyle,

No, not yet. I've been meaning to check back with y'all (OK, yes, I'm in the South). Just never have time except late at night. Did you have any luck with your contacts at TRX?

Thanks so much.

Tried a couple of times, but no answer. I was reading through your post where you had been in touch with them, but I'm going to try to get a hold of them again. I'm going to have Guy write up an in depth process he took that way it'll be precise. He wrote the email, but I'm going to have him include screen shots and everything.

I must admit, I was out sick 2 days this week and got behind, but I still haven't forgotten. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help & I hope you are feeling better. I've been limping along using the TaxWise default .pdf. But as Guy can attest, it doesn't always work, either. At this point it is the only thing I can usually print to (and perhaps my old - very slow - HP4500). I'm not sure what I'll do if that one fails completely.

Thanks so much.

After doing about 20 returns with TaxWise I think I am finally getting used to it.

The conversion went fine, except for a few errors in bringing forward last years AGI (it seems that they are picking up line 22 instead of line 37) the rest seems all OK

The forms they show on the screen are awful because of all the extra lines

I don't understand why we should have to check a box if we don't have Puerto Rico income

Having to enter the Bank routing number and the account numbers on both the info sheet and the 1040 is lousy.

I have finally found out how to get rid of the red error line, by pressing F3, cause some of them are impossible to make it OK.

U don't like the schedule A detail sheet.

I do like the way to enter interest income and dividends, you don't have to enter all the bank info which is not needed anyway.

I have done a couple of multiple states, and it works excellent.

I don't care for their billing of an invoice, you have to go through the long list of forms every time.

I love the speed when printing a return either to PDF or the printer.

I love the speed when the program loads.

Also an excellent feature is when you send an e-file or check for acks, you also get any updates automatically.

Their reports are from the dark ages, Crystal Reports, I hated them when Peachtree started to use them to make your own reports. They could use a lot of updating.

I have been receiving ACKS very fast even from the states.

I hope they offer the program at the same price (299) next year. I loved ATX but can't afford it.

I pretty much agree with your comments. But here are a few things that I have found in a few of the returns I've prepared:

On my own return, I have assets that I depreciate. You always have to check those after a rollover. But this time I found a new "asset" - apparently from an 1120S K1. I've never had one of these for my personal return, so I really don't know where it came from.

I've had 2 or 3 include an 8801 - AMT carryforward. These are for clients that have never been subject to AMT. One actually included a $40 credit.

Just keep your eyes open.

What is wrong with it?

What I don't like is the manager it should allow you to hide the completed returns.

I just think it should pick up the more obvious errors that I stupidly missed but were automatically picked up by IRS resulting in rejected e-file. Or maybe it is just a "miss" in the software during the original input....i.e. disallowed student interest due to AGI......I know I should have caught it, but I am still adjusting to the software.

I just think it should pick up the more obvious errors that I stupidly missed but were automatically picked up by IRS resulting in rejected e-file. Or maybe it is just a "miss" in the software during the original input....i.e. disallowed student interest due to AGI......I know I should have caught it, but I am still adjusting to the software.

You must have entered the interest directly onto line 33 using the override function. If instead you use the student loan interest worksheet that is linked to line 33 it takes care of both the $2,500 limit and the AGI phaseout.

Note that a list of all estimates and overrides appears when the diagnostics are run, but they do not prevent e-file.

Maybe I'm just getting more forgetful, but a reminder to enter bank info for direct deposits would be nice. I've missed 2 this year so far. I don't remember having that problem before.

There is a warning ...

There is a refund on the tax return and no direct deposit information has been filled in. Is this correct? (W66)

but it is buried in the diagnostics. If you want something stronger, use the form defaults to enter a bad DAN (account number) like 999 on the main info sheet. Every return will fail unless you either delete the DAN for a paper check or correct it for a direct deposit.

There is a warning ...

but it is buried in the diagnostics. If you want something stronger, use the form defaults to enter a bad DAN (account number) like 999 on the main info sheet. Every return will fail unless you either delete the DAN for a paper check or correct it for a direct deposit.

That is a darn good suggestion concerning deposit information. Haven't had the time when I failed to enter that information. But your suggestion is a fine one.

I used ATX last year and if you did - be careful. Three times already I've had returns roll through that paid capital gains taxes last year but the software is somehow seeing a long-term capital loss carryover. When I see the new Schedule D there is a mysterious dollar figure entered in that carry forward line. Be careful.

I used ATX last year and if you did - be careful. Three times already I've had returns roll through that paid capital gains taxes last year but the software is somehow seeing a long-term capital loss carryover. When I see the new Schedule D there is a mysterious dollar figure entered in that carry forward line. Be careful.

True. I think this applies to pretty much all conversions though, not just CCH's. Any year you change software expect to spend extra time reentering and verifying return data.