ATX Community

NT / I think my client is Columbo

RitaB

This guy just cracks me up. Every year he does this: Brings in his stuff, tells me item by item what everything is: "This is my W-2, this is my wife's W-2, this is my mortgage interest..." He's heading out the door, and turns around.

Oh, one more thing ma'am. Have you heard anything about us getting another stimulus check?

(Discussion about that.) Starts out the door.

Oh, yeah, ma'am, do you need to know the amount of that stimulus thing last year? I wrote it on this paper that I didn't give you. (Discussion.) Starts for the door.

Oh, one more thing, ma'am. Haven't we already been deducting property tax? (Yes, cause you itemize...blah, blah, blah.)

He will call me in a few minutes with "one more thing, ma'am." I can't help but like him, he's so polite.

Every year I think of Peter Falk as Columbo. If they remake that show, I have the guy for them! haha!

I have a couple of these folks, too. You either love them and get a chuckle out of them -- or you want to scream. No middle ground. (And sometimes it depends on the day they call/come in, too.)

Catherine

It is very helpful if they explain that the document they hand you is a W-2. Otherwise how would you know?

It is very helpful if they explain that the document they hand you is a W-2. Otherwise how would you know?

LOL. Yes, thank goodness. Saves on research time.

I often wonder why they trust us to prepare the tax return when they feel compelled to go over EVERY cotton pickin form with us. haha!

One guy, when I asked if anything had changed, told me yes, he changed jobs. Hold the phones, people!

One guy, when I asked if anything had changed, told me yes, he changed jobs. Hold the phones, people!

Still better than the folks who forget to tell you about marriages, divorces, and new babies. Plus -- perhaps there is excess social security withholding, so there really was a point to it. a Teeny-tiny need-a-magnifying-glass-to-see-it point -- but a point. ^_^

Catherine

Still better than the folks who forget to tell you about marriages, divorces, and new babies.^_^

Catherine

Ain't that the truth! My client who actually has the highest W-2 wages of anyone I see didn't think he needed to tell me about his wife's little make up selling business. She got a 1099-Misc, and he didn't think they needed to report it cause it was under $10,000. He's in the health care industry. Hope nobody dies.

I enjoy the client who has moved or changed phone numbers or just using their cell phone. I have now made it a habit of asking for address and phone number (where to send the refund and for additional deductions). My clients don't consider either of those to be changes, they still have an address and phone number. So, what's the big deal about changing that. Oh well just another tax season.

I enjoy the client who has moved or changed phone numbers or just using their cell phone. I have now made it a habit of asking for address and phone number (where to send the refund and for additional deductions). My clients don't consider either of those to be changes, they still have an address and phone number. So, what's the big deal about changing that. Oh well just another tax season.

Regarding cell phones, this is REALLY bothering me. Do you have clients that give you their cell number, but apparently do not check their messages, or don't know how? I had THREE people in one day to call checking on how their return was coming along (*&^%), and I had called ALL three of them and left them messages.

Regarding cell phones, this is REALLY bothering me. Do you have clients that give you their cell number, but apparently do not check their messages, or don't know how? I had THREE people in one day to call checking on how their return was coming along (*&^%), and I had called ALL three of them and left them messages.

Here in Ohio we have taxing school districts...you can actually move down the street in some cases and be in a different district with a different rate.

Clients never understand that when they move four times during the year in a quest for the perfect apartment....That they need to provide me with locations and exact dates moved in/out.

My husband used to be with the fire department before we met. He told me the story of a call they got reporting a fire at a certain address. They rolled on the call, got there and there was no fire. They get back to the station, and get a call again at the same address. Again, they arrive and no fire. This time dispatch calls while they are still on scene, so they are able to relay that there is no fire at that address to the caller who wants to know why they aren't at her house which is on fire. Turns out that when she moved a few months earlier, she didn't want to be bothered to change her address so she took the numbers off the old house with her and put them up at the new house so she "could keep her address."

It isn't just us they are out to get......

Here in Ohio we have taxing school districts...you can actually move down the street in some cases and be in a different district with a different rate.

Clients never understand that when they move four times during the year in a quest for the perfect apartment....That they need to provide me with locations and exact dates moved in/out.

Thank goodness we have NO CITY income taxes in my state.

My husband used to be with the fire department before we met. He told me the story of a call they got reporting a fire at a certain address. They rolled on the call, got there and there was no fire. They get back to the station, and get a call again at the same address. Again, they arrive and no fire. This time dispatch calls while they are still on scene, so they are able to relay that there is no fire at that address to the caller who wants to know why they aren't at her house which is on fire. Turns out that when she moved a few months earlier, she didn't want to be bothered to change her address so she took the numbers off the old house with her and put them up at the new house so she "could keep her address."

It isn't just us they are out to get......

My Lord~! How can someone that stupid even function, and presumably hold a job, even?